You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Return or not

If I bought an iPhone from the Apple store online and connected to my phone carrier account and decided to switch phone carriers and get a new phone through them would I need to return my phone back to Apple??

Posted on Mar 25, 2018 10:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2018 3:33 PM

If you buy an ‘unlocked’ (not locked to any carrier) smartphone, then it is yours to do with as you see fit. Keep it or sell it. What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone - Apple Support

If you get a ‘locked’ smartphone as part of a plan with a carrier, then you have an obligation to keep that service for a period as stated in the contract. As the details differ per carrier, you will have to check with them.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2018 3:33 PM in response to Lanalove6

If you buy an ‘unlocked’ (not locked to any carrier) smartphone, then it is yours to do with as you see fit. Keep it or sell it. What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone - Apple Support

If you get a ‘locked’ smartphone as part of a plan with a carrier, then you have an obligation to keep that service for a period as stated in the contract. As the details differ per carrier, you will have to check with them.

Return or not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.