Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive not accessible

Hi,

I have an external WD My Book 4TB hard drive that, as of today, has stopped showing up in Finder. In Disk Utility it actually shows up twice, once as "WD My Book 25EE Media" with the unmounted partition(?) "USB External APFS Physical Store", and then again as an "AppleAPFSMedia." According to Disk Utility, the first volume is a GUID partitioned drive, and the second is simply uninitialized. Again, there is only one drive connected.

I was able to use recovery software to access files, although there's more than 1 TB of files on the drive so I haven't gone through the whole recovery process yet. Additionally there are FCPX libraries that are recovered as lots of individual .fcpevent files, but that's a separate discussion.

Is there any way to recover the hard drive while preserving the folder organization of the files? Maybe a way to initialize the hard drive so macOS can read it, without losing data? The files are all there, and are recovered intact, it just seems like something is stopping macOS from understanding them. I have no idea what caused the hard drive to do this, it was working fine until today, I plugged it in and it just wasn't recognized. I've included screenshots of Disk Utility as well as the /diskutil list.User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.3), null

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 7:59 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

External hard drive not accessible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.