Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Pro startup problem when external devices are plugged in

I have a new iMac Pro and it won't start up when I have peripherals plugged into the ports on the back.

I have:

2 external monitors

4 external HDDs

When they are plugged in it will not move past the black screen with the white apple logo. When I unplug all of the devises and start up it does fine. I can then plug in all the devises and go about my business.

iMac Pro (2017)

3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Posted on Mar 27, 2018 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2018 9:34 AM

Have you tried the divide and conquer approach yet to find out whether it is the external displays or HDD's that are causing the issue? Once you narrow down whether it's the displays or HDD's, then you can attach the devices one at a time to figure out which specific devices (or cables) are causing the issue.

What brand/model displays are you using? Have you checked to see if the manufacturer has any firmware updates for them? For the LG displays you can manage updates using the LG Screen Manager app.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2018 9:34 AM in response to Mattzda3

Have you tried the divide and conquer approach yet to find out whether it is the external displays or HDD's that are causing the issue? Once you narrow down whether it's the displays or HDD's, then you can attach the devices one at a time to figure out which specific devices (or cables) are causing the issue.

What brand/model displays are you using? Have you checked to see if the manufacturer has any firmware updates for them? For the LG displays you can manage updates using the LG Screen Manager app.

iMac Pro startup problem when external devices are plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.