Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview: rename automatically locks PDFs

Why do my PDFs lock automatically in Preview when I edit the file name?

Here is the process I undertake with PDFs on a regular basis that results in an unintended and unusual file locking behaviour:

1) Navigate to any ordinary PDF using Safari. Here's one: https://images.apple.com/ca/promo/pdf/MobileMe_09_CE.pdf

('Ordinary' means 'not protected')

2) Hover near the bottom of the Safari window to bring up the little tool palette. The third icon from the left is for the tool "Open in Preview". Click it.

3) In preview, click on the file name at the top of the file window. In the box that drops down, select the file name again, highlight it, and replace it with a new name (Newfile will do nicely). Change the file location if you wish (beside "Where:") or leave it where it is. I generally send my PDFs to "Downloads"

User uploaded file

4) Press return

Watch the top of the file window. After a brief pause, the file name will change, and then the word 'Locked' will appear.

User uploaded file

Interesting, the locking of the file, though it is unintended and occurs without 'requesting' the lock by clicking the "Locked" check box, is reversible. If you once again click on the file name to drop down the "Name, Tags, Where" editing box, you can uncheck 'Locked', and the file happily returns to the unlocked state.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

How can I stop this strange and unintended behaviour?

Posted on Mar 27, 2018 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2018 6:40 PM

Hello Scirius,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some trouble with your PDFs locking unexpectedly, and I have some information that may help.

In cases like this, it may be helpful to test the issue in safe mode. Doing so will help to isolate the issue to a startup item, and may also help resolve the issue on its own, as it clears some cached items.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If the behavior persists or you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2018 6:40 PM in response to Scirius

Hello Scirius,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some trouble with your PDFs locking unexpectedly, and I have some information that may help.

In cases like this, it may be helpful to test the issue in safe mode. Doing so will help to isolate the issue to a startup item, and may also help resolve the issue on its own, as it clears some cached items.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If the behavior persists or you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Preview: rename automatically locks PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.