Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hanging indents for Pages?

Word has the handy Paragraph formatting window to quickly apply first-line and hanging indents to paragraphs. Pages has none.

Does anyone have a great solution to this failure in that is otherwise a fairly good app/program?

Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 27, 2018 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2018 12:58 AM

HI Bob,

Haven't checked if this feature is available in Pages for iOS, but it has been standard since the beginning in Pages for Mac.

Example below is in Pages 5.6.2.

User uploaded file

Select the paragraphs to which the hanging indent will apply.

Go to the View menu, and choose Show Rulers.

In the ruler look to the left end to find the two part icon combining a Left Margin stop (downward pointing triangle) and a First Line left margin stop (thin rectangle sitting on the triangle).

Click on the triangle part and drag right to where you want the main left margin of the text to be.

Click on the rectangle part and drag left to the document margin.

Done.

Alternate method:

Select the paragraph(s) to which you want to apply hanging indents.

Open the Format inspector by clicking the Format Brush.

Set the first line and left values in the Indents section to the values you want.

(the ones shown are the result of my setting the hanging indent by dragging the icons on the ruler. Results of setting by entering numbers in the controls in the inspector can be more precise.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2018 12:58 AM in response to bobngb

HI Bob,

Haven't checked if this feature is available in Pages for iOS, but it has been standard since the beginning in Pages for Mac.

Example below is in Pages 5.6.2.

User uploaded file

Select the paragraphs to which the hanging indent will apply.

Go to the View menu, and choose Show Rulers.

In the ruler look to the left end to find the two part icon combining a Left Margin stop (downward pointing triangle) and a First Line left margin stop (thin rectangle sitting on the triangle).

Click on the triangle part and drag right to where you want the main left margin of the text to be.

Click on the rectangle part and drag left to the document margin.

Done.

Alternate method:

Select the paragraph(s) to which you want to apply hanging indents.

Open the Format inspector by clicking the Format Brush.

Set the first line and left values in the Indents section to the values you want.

(the ones shown are the result of my setting the hanging indent by dragging the icons on the ruler. Results of setting by entering numbers in the controls in the inspector can be more precise.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

Mar 27, 2018 11:12 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Oh, I know how to do it. I just don’t understand why Apple doesn’t preset this very useful style, especially when the company presents such a hard sell to the education market.

BTW, been setting these Styles myself all the way back to MacWrite. I prefer Pages to Word, but Word is more ready to go in just a couple of elements. My take.

Thanks for for the feedback.

Hanging indents for Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.