Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autofill Stopped

iPad Pro 9.7, running iOS public beta 11.3

Autofill has worked perfectly since purchase a year ago. Four or five weeks ago it stopped working. It continues to work without a problem on my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

I have followed Apple's suggestions, without success - all autofill options are turned on in Safari, keychain is turned on in iCloud, Accounts & Passwords database is still intact. But it doesn't work - every webpage requiring sign-in shows an empty account name and password fields. If I enter wrong data it warns me it is different from the data in keychain, so the link to keychain is still there. But it won't autofill the fields - yet the same webpages autofill without a problem on my iPhone & MacBook Pro. It is specific to my iPad. I use my iPad for web access more heavily than my phone or laptop, so this issue is driving me crazy. Any solutions out there?

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 7:23 AM

9 replies

Mar 31, 2018 8:08 AM in response to Eric Root

Ureka!

Thanks a bunch Eric - I had missed this small but very significant "improvement". I had tried your suggestion previously, but seemingly without success because I wasn't looking carefully enough - when you tap the field it doesn't immediately autofill. Instead, it gives suggestions in small small print in a grey bar at the bottom of the page, which I had not noticed. When you tap the correct suggestion (there may be more than one) autofill works just as before.

I can't help asking though, why hasn't Apple mentioned this little tip in their official help page for this specific issue. I suppose the change is quite recent, but I've been wrestling with it for at least five or six weeks - long enough you would think for them to update the page.

Anyway, thanks again, you've ended a long period of frustration for me.

Apr 4, 2018 4:22 AM in response to Oldwils

See my comment above - I had the same experience as you, but I wasn't looking carefully enough - when you tap the field it doesn't immediately autofill. Instead, suggestions occur in small small print in an inconspicuous grey bar at the bottom of the page, or just above the keyboard. It is easy to miss which is why I had not noticed it. When you tap the correct suggestion (there may be more than one, depending on previous passwords saved for that site) autofill works just as before.

Apr 25, 2018 7:32 PM in response to fellwalker46

I have been battling this for a couple of weeks now. I FINALLY found the answer but you have to know exactly what to do. It is an Apple security thing. When you go to your site and click login, your empty boxes come up for user ID and Password. Click on the empty User ID window.....your keyboard comes up. Now carefully look at the top left of keyboard where you will see it say Password, here you can choose your user ID and it will automatically fill both your user ID and Password field. I have no idea why Apple did not publicize this more as it was making my new iPad Pro useless to me. I am not extremely mobile and could not run to my computer to look up passwords! This was not intuitive at all, I would have never noticed it (and didn’t) until I read the answer elsewhere. I cannot take credit for the answer, but it was not explained well and I still missed it until I carefully looked everywhere. I was looking in the user box, it is NOT there, it is ON the keyboard that pops up, top left and unassuming...

Autofill Stopped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.