Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

proximity sensor on all the time after update to 11.3 help !

the proximity sensor on my iphone 6s is always on after the update to ios 11.3 resulting in the screen going dark when i put my fingers over it while using apps in the landscape mode help !

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.3

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2018 11:31 PM

Hi ​milind943,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some trouble with the proximity sensor on your iPhone being triggered when you use certain apps in landscape mode. I know it's important for your iPhone to function as you expect it to; I'd like to help. First, if you haven't already, close the affected apps and restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the behavior continues I'd suggest that you create a current backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Next, use these steps to reinstall the iOS software to your iPhone. This process will erase the software currently installed and replace it with a fresh copy. Be sure to closely follow step four and choose to "Update" in order to prevent data loss:
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you continue to have trouble could you let me know which apps you're using when this behavior occurs?

Best Regards.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2018 11:31 PM in response to milind943

Hi ​milind943,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some trouble with the proximity sensor on your iPhone being triggered when you use certain apps in landscape mode. I know it's important for your iPhone to function as you expect it to; I'd like to help. First, if you haven't already, close the affected apps and restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the behavior continues I'd suggest that you create a current backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Next, use these steps to reinstall the iOS software to your iPhone. This process will erase the software currently installed and replace it with a fresh copy. Be sure to closely follow step four and choose to "Update" in order to prevent data loss:
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you continue to have trouble could you let me know which apps you're using when this behavior occurs?

Best Regards.

proximity sensor on all the time after update to 11.3 help !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.