Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best eGPU Video Card for LG UltraFine 5K

I've got a Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro and an LG UltraFine 5K display. I want to get an eGPU for it, but it seems like all of the outputs on the compatible video cards are all DisplayPort or HDMI... what's the best video card to use as an eGPU that has a Thunderbolt 3 output to hook up to my LG?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2018 8:36 PM

You are correct. A display needs to be connected to the eGPU with the eGPU display set as primary in system preferences to take advantage of eGPU acceleration in MacOS. Unfortunately, you'll need to purchase a display that can connect to the eGPU, as I posted, the LG Thunderbolt Display (or any thunderbolt display) will not. Theoretically, apps could allow a user to switch compute from the dGPU to the eGPU without the need for an additional screen and or use multiple GPU's for processing. However, I'm not aware of any current apps that do that. At time of posting, even Apple's FCPX seems to only utilize the active/primary GPU in my tests.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2018 8:36 PM in response to Pegarm

You are correct. A display needs to be connected to the eGPU with the eGPU display set as primary in system preferences to take advantage of eGPU acceleration in MacOS. Unfortunately, you'll need to purchase a display that can connect to the eGPU, as I posted, the LG Thunderbolt Display (or any thunderbolt display) will not. Theoretically, apps could allow a user to switch compute from the dGPU to the eGPU without the need for an additional screen and or use multiple GPU's for processing. However, I'm not aware of any current apps that do that. At time of posting, even Apple's FCPX seems to only utilize the active/primary GPU in my tests.

Apr 4, 2018 5:53 PM in response to Ryan Webber

Is it possible we may see hardware in the future that makes this possible? Perhaps an egpu enclosure with 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports? Or does the fact that the display sends a power charge back to the mbp rule out that possibility? I see the Akito Node Pro supports 2 TB3 ports, but it seems like they use the same data conduit, and so transfer rates are compromised between the two.

Apr 4, 2018 6:01 PM in response to Pegarm

The only thing I can suggest is buying a cheaper display for use with the eGPU. I don't see any GPUs coming with TB3 output anytime soon. HDMI and DP 1.4 are the current standards on all of the high end cards. It's a shame since the LG is a really nice display but this is how things are when you're an early adopter. These LGs very also designed specifically to be used with Apple's new TB3 MacBooks and other TB3 notebooks.

Best eGPU Video Card for LG UltraFine 5K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.