Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos will not import from camera. ElCapitan 1.11.16. I have 16,000 photos in library. Is this too many to allow for more imports?

I have been trying to import photos from my camera to Photos. This used to work fine and I can import the photos to my wife's account on the same computer. I have about 16,000 pictures in my library and I have plenty of memory and storage space. I tried importing only one photo but the same results occur. I get the "importing photos" message, but nothing happens. When I try to log out of Photo, I get a message saying "closing library" but it just stays that way until I force quit. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 16000 photos in library

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 5:46 PM

Try repairing the library according to the instructions in this Apple document: Repair Your Library.

WARNING: If you're using iCloud Photo Library with Photos, this action will cause Photos to upload all your pictures again (from Fix missing or incorrect thumbnails in Photos - Apple Support).

User uploaded file

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 31, 2018 2:47 PM in response to Jona.P

16,000 is NOT too many photos - my small library has 27,000 and my large library 80,000

We need details please

You state you have El Captain 10.11 - is that correct?

How are you importing - USB connection to your camera? SD card reader? WiFi Camera connection?

What camera do you have? Are the photos JPEGs or RAW?

How much free disk does your computer have? Is the Photos library on the main computer drive or an external drive, if on an EHD how is it connected and what format is it?

LN

Mar 31, 2018 3:00 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here are details:

ElCapitan 10.11.16

Importing via USB.

Camera is Fuji and pictures are JPEGs (I think)

Computer has 184 GB free. I have a solid state storage as the hard drive got squirrely and needed to be replaced. I don’t think this is related to that replacement.

The perplexing thing is that this had always worked before and works fine on my wife’s account.

The message I get when I try to exit Photos is "closing the library: and this message just sits there. Never goes away until I force quit Photos.

Is there a way/place to increase the size allotment for the Photos library? Thinking this may be at fault but can't find such a setting.

Thanks again!

jon

Photos will not import from camera. ElCapitan 1.11.16. I have 16,000 photos in library. Is this too many to allow for more imports?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.