Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does safari no longer save passwords after the recent iOS 11.3 upgrade

Why does safari no longer save passwords as it used to, since the latest iOS 11.3 upgrade. All of my passwords on my iPhone X and my iPad 9.7 pro are no longer there and I’m having to constantly re enter passwords for everythin. Annoying as ****!!

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 7:33 AM

Good morning desmondfrombirmingham,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are noticing that Safari is no longer saving passwords on your iPhone X and iPad. The resource below will provide some troubleshooting steps for this issue, including checking your settings for iCloud Keychain and Safari autofill. I've highlighted some key information here for you. Click on the link for complete details.
Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain​
Get help with iCloud Keychain

If Safari doesn't autofill your account names, passwords, or credit cards, or doesn't ask to save them to begin with, check the AutoFill and Private Browsing settings on your device.

On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9 or later:

1. Tap Settings > Safari > AutoFill.
  2. For account names and passwords, check that Names and Passwords is on. For credit card information,* check that Credit Cards is turned on.
  3. Open Safari. If the navigation bar in Safari is black or dark instead of white or light gray, turn off Private Browsing. Safari doesn't save account names and passwords when Private Browsing is on.

If you can't view the passwords stored in iCloud Keychain

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 11 or later:

1. Tap Settings > Accounts & Passwords > App & Website Passwords.
  2. Use Touch ID when you're prompted.
  3. Tap a website to view your password.

If you don't see your iCloud Keychain items

There are several possible reasons for why you can't find your iCloud Keychain information:

• Did you restore from an iCloud backup and then notice missing iCloud Keychain items? iCloud Keychain items aren't part of iCloud Backup because they already live in the cloud. To find your iCloud Keychain items in iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Keychain and turn on iCloud Keychain.
  • Did you turn off iCloud Keychain on all your devices? If so, your iCloud Keychain is removed from the cloud. If you chose to delete the keychain items from your devices when you turned off iCloud Keychain, your iCloud Keychain is also removed from those devices. You need to set up iCloud Keychain and add items again. (If you turn off iCloud Keychain on all your devices and choose to delete your iCloud Keychain locally on all your devices, Apple can't recover your iCloud Keychain.)
Take care.

User uploaded file

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2018 7:33 AM in response to desmondfrombirmingham

Good morning desmondfrombirmingham,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are noticing that Safari is no longer saving passwords on your iPhone X and iPad. The resource below will provide some troubleshooting steps for this issue, including checking your settings for iCloud Keychain and Safari autofill. I've highlighted some key information here for you. Click on the link for complete details.
Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain​
Get help with iCloud Keychain

If Safari doesn't autofill your account names, passwords, or credit cards, or doesn't ask to save them to begin with, check the AutoFill and Private Browsing settings on your device.

On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9 or later:

1. Tap Settings > Safari > AutoFill.
  2. For account names and passwords, check that Names and Passwords is on. For credit card information,* check that Credit Cards is turned on.
  3. Open Safari. If the navigation bar in Safari is black or dark instead of white or light gray, turn off Private Browsing. Safari doesn't save account names and passwords when Private Browsing is on.

If you can't view the passwords stored in iCloud Keychain

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 11 or later:

1. Tap Settings > Accounts & Passwords > App & Website Passwords.
  2. Use Touch ID when you're prompted.
  3. Tap a website to view your password.

If you don't see your iCloud Keychain items

There are several possible reasons for why you can't find your iCloud Keychain information:

• Did you restore from an iCloud backup and then notice missing iCloud Keychain items? iCloud Keychain items aren't part of iCloud Backup because they already live in the cloud. To find your iCloud Keychain items in iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Keychain and turn on iCloud Keychain.
  • Did you turn off iCloud Keychain on all your devices? If so, your iCloud Keychain is removed from the cloud. If you chose to delete the keychain items from your devices when you turned off iCloud Keychain, your iCloud Keychain is also removed from those devices. You need to set up iCloud Keychain and add items again. (If you turn off iCloud Keychain on all your devices and choose to delete your iCloud Keychain locally on all your devices, Apple can't recover your iCloud Keychain.)
Take care.

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2018 6:09 AM in response to cwebber1

Yes it is intentional. I am almost 65 years old, I wear glasses and I personally don’t find it all that difficult to do. It is a little more work, but it’s all about security with Apple.

If you would like to see them change it again, leave feedback here.

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

You can read more about the update here.

About iOS 11 Updates - Apple Support

Apr 20, 2018 5:36 AM in response to Demo

Demo wrote:

Are you sure that they are no longer there? It works differently now. The fields are no longer pre filled in. When I go to my bank website, I tap on the blank username or password fields and then the fill in options appear.

Did you try that?

Is this intentional?

Previously, the webpage came up and the user/password was autofilled...

Tap ONE key (the return or 'go' key) and you were in.

BUT NOW, with the "it works differently now" change...

1. You pinch/zoom/scroll to the password box on your webpage.
  2. Touch in the password box.
  3. When the keyboard comes up, touch the little blue "passwords" label on the keyboard.
  4. Select which of 1 or 2 or more passwords to use (no longer a default)
  5. Tape the return or 'go' key.

(oh and if you're over 50, steps 4a,4b,4c,4d, involve getting your reading glasses out of you pocket because the font describing each saved password option is so small it can't be read, and can't be zoomed).

Seriously!!!

Apr 5, 2018 6:17 AM in response to brenden dv

I followed your steps and all of my ID's and passwords are present in keychain and everything is properly enabled. Also, I am not in Safari private browsing mode. However auto fill is no longer working. I also tried tapping the blank ID and password fields as was suggested in related posts here but that doesn’t work either. This is a new situation occurring in just the past couple weeks and I have not made any changes other than updating To iOS 11.3.

Apr 7, 2018 3:52 PM in response to berfle

This was happening to me also, which is why I was reading this thread. I went back and tapped in the user name box and finally noticed in the bar just above the numbers on the keyboard it asks if you if you want to use “this” login, which should be your saved Info. Tap on that and it will autofill the login info.

Apr 20, 2018 5:30 AM in response to desmondfrombirmingham

Is there any way to revert back to pre- 11.3 upgrade?

The only reason I upgraded is because the icons at the bottom were getting screwed up and not displaying. 11.1 didn't fix this, and now I have a yet another annoyance.

Does apply realize that we operate these Phones for sometimes for quick information (not to interact like a video game)? When I'm scooting thru the airport with suitcase in tow, looking for a quick number on the web, I don't want to make 5 gestures just to login to a website.

Apr 23, 2018 6:52 AM in response to Demo

Thanks for the link. I see the new "feature"?? described in the notes. Guess I should be more of an IT person than a consumer next time I give in to the relentless nagging by Apple to update my iPhone.

Demo wrote:

...almost 65 years old, I wear glasses and I personally don’t find it all that difficult

Your usage model is likely different than others. Mine is: hurrying thru and airport dragging bags, trying to look something up quickly (e.g. gate information) with one hand while maneuvering thru crowds. At some point, the unnecessary "extra" steps can make the difference between getting the information or not.

Apr 23, 2018 6:58 AM in response to cwebber1

I've gotta say one more thing...

If Apple is so concerned about the security of saving passwords, then why is it that: On my MAC, when asked "Do you want to save this password" and I answer by clicking "Never for this WebSite". Great. But next time I login and enter the password, it asks me again if I want to save the password. Doesn't Never means Never??

Apr 27, 2018 10:14 AM in response to cwebber1

Same here,after latest ios update my ipad did not autofill passwords,lot of unhelpful advise here.

I went to Apple shop in Southampton , the so called tech expert never heard of this problem ! Wanted me to pay for someone to check software on the ipad! Typical Apple always trying to make money, bad advise too.

Tap on the empty password box when prompted ,then on top of the keyboard a faint line appear with the password asking if you want to use it, tap on in it autofills the password.

Not sure why they changed the way it works.

The Apple techbloke should have helped but no why should he!

May 2, 2018 1:27 AM in response to haukinen

I’ve just re-read all the replies 3 times and tried the suggestions - my 4th attempt I worked out how to do it after finding the correct reply 🙈 (I’m not the best at technical geekery on apple devices!)

The answer that cwebber1 gave above worked for me - only the box on my keyboard wasn’t blue. (I have an iPad Pro)

Go to an account you want to log into (mine was Facebook and Etsy) on the log in section just tap on the box where you’d normally enter your user ID or email.

It should bring up the keyboard. At the top of the keyboard above the numbers, there should be a bar (mine was light grey) with email / password suggestions. Tap on the correct suggestion and it enters it automatically into the log in boxes.

As stated above the writing isn’t that easy to pick up - I never use that feature on my keyboard and hadn’t even noticed my email / password details in those bars at all. I was manually typing passwords in every time since updating.

I can see this is still going to be awkward as it’s created extra steps to logging in, and if you accidentally hit the wrong choice in a hurry, it’s a lot of faff to go back and do the right one.

It was simple before. This is annoying. I have to go into the Southampton store for another issue with my iPad, I’ll mention this to them as hopefully the feedback will be passed on.

May 24, 2018 3:10 PM in response to desmondfrombirmingham

I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea.

The issue I have is for website where I have multiple logins. Such as google as I have more than one google account. It doesn’t seem to actually put the right password with the account selected in the middle pop up box above the keyboard. I always seem to have to type the password in. Very annoying when so many things require google login.

Why does safari no longer save passwords after the recent iOS 11.3 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.