Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing "add to home screen" option

Hi,

When trying to add a web page icon to my home screen, the "Add to Home Screen" button is not appearing.

How do I fix that?

I read here the following post from 2008:

In the post they say that if I have 9 home screens, all full with apps (i.e. no more space in any of the 9(max) home screens), that this is when the "add to home screen" option disappears.

However, I have not installed too many apps on my iphone. I have only 5 home screens, and some of them are not full with apps.

So why did the "add to home screen" option disappear?

Any idea how to get this option back?

Thanks,

Tal

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 10:30 AM

Hello talmor,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to find the option to add a current website to the Home screen of your iPhone. To help with this issue, please force close the Safari app and restart your device as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on. Then open Safari, tap User uploaded file and then swipe left on the bottom options to see if the Add to Home Screen option is available.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Add bookmarks and favorites - iPhone User Guide

If you're still having this issue, your next step is to reinstall iOS on your device; this will reinstall the Safari app and help us isolate the situation further. Reinstalling iOS should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ​
Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on

Use the “Update” option and not “Restore” and these steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further.

Cheers!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2018 10:30 AM in response to talmor

Hello talmor,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to find the option to add a current website to the Home screen of your iPhone. To help with this issue, please force close the Safari app and restart your device as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on. Then open Safari, tap User uploaded file and then swipe left on the bottom options to see if the Add to Home Screen option is available.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Add bookmarks and favorites - iPhone User Guide

If you're still having this issue, your next step is to reinstall iOS on your device; this will reinstall the Safari app and help us isolate the situation further. Reinstalling iOS should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ​
Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on

Use the “Update” option and not “Restore” and these steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further.

Cheers!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.