Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no Lightning male to male cable?

Why can I not find a Lightning male to Lightning male cable? I see there are and do have a Lightning male to USB-C male. But that does not solve my issue. Does such same-sex Lightning cables (including female to female) exist? If so, where do I order? If not, is there a reason?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11 beta

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 8:57 AM

4 replies

Apr 10, 2018 2:17 PM in response to Rudegar

The link sends me to a male to female adaptor. I am looking for a male connector on one end, and another male connector on the other end. I sometimes use my iPad to charge my iPhone. Also, would like to tether the iPad to my iPhone to use the iPhone’s cellar data plan using a direct cable instead of through Wifi or Bluetooth. Additional want to try other things.

User uploaded file

Apr 11, 2018 4:52 AM in response to Keith Istre

Keith Istre wrote:

Why can I not find a Lightning male to Lightning male cable? I see there are and do have a Lightning male to USB-C male. But that does not solve my issue. Does such same-sex Lightning cables (including female to female) exist? If so, where do I order? If not, is there a reason?

The reason is that it would serve no purpose. You can't transfer data over it. You can't use one device to charge another (the connector on the phone cannot supply any current). A Lightning cable is not a passive cable. There are 4 microcircuits in the Lightning plug that goes into the phone.

Why is there no Lightning male to male cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.