Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very old contacts are showing up on iphone.....

I wiped my phone (iphone 7) clean a few days ago to fix a problem. Syncing everything back, I now have a TON of VERY old contacts listed...including some that are just email addresses. I thought it was an iCloud thing, but logging into iCloud shows only the contacts that are current. Where in the heck are these ancient contacts coming from and how do I get rid of them for good? Thanks for the help!

iPhone 7, iOS 11.3, ipad mini 2

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2018 10:16 AM

Hello carrie640,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are seeing older contacts in the Contacts app on your iPhone, but these older contacts don't appear in your contacts at iCloud.com. To help with this issue, you can check what accounts are setup to show in the Contacts by going to Settings > Accounts & Passwords and checking the accounts that have Contacts turned on. You can also hide certain groups to narrow this down by tapping Groups in the Contacts app.

Add contact accounts - iPhone User Guide

Cheers!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2018 10:16 AM in response to carrie640

Hello carrie640,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are seeing older contacts in the Contacts app on your iPhone, but these older contacts don't appear in your contacts at iCloud.com. To help with this issue, you can check what accounts are setup to show in the Contacts by going to Settings > Accounts & Passwords and checking the accounts that have Contacts turned on. You can also hide certain groups to narrow this down by tapping Groups in the Contacts app.

Add contact accounts - iPhone User Guide

Cheers!

Very old contacts are showing up on iphone.....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.