Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Version 12.7.4.76 has big problems!

Has anyone else encountered a major issue with this update? Immediately after updating to 12.7.4.76, the process of adding new files to my library became so slow it was unbelievable!

Loading a new folder with one album in it (10 -15 songs) used to take a minute or two. NOW it takes over an hour or two! This is definitely related to this update as I was adding files right before it updated and then right after. I tried rebooting. I tried uninstalling iTunes in the proper order and reinstalling the same version. Nothing seems to help this issue.

While I admit that I have a large iTunes library of over 365,000 sings, it's like I hit a brick wall as soon as this update took place.

This delay also happens when converting a group of songs, say from m4a to mp3 format. As soon as the "Adding Files" window pops up, you might as well take in dinner and a movie before anything completes.

I called Apple to complain about this issue, but who knows if they will look at it.

Any suggestions out there?

Dell Inspiron 17, 7000 Series-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 2:01 PM

Agreed that this is definitely a problem with 12.7.4.76. No solution to offer, but a couple of other observations:

• There's no sign in Task Manager that iTunes is using excessive resources associated with this degraded performance - in the middle of a standard File > Add Folder to Library ... operation TM is showing this:User uploaded file
    which doesn't appear outside expected limits.
  • The file import is conflicting with playback: if I initiate File > Add Folder to Library ... while playing music, the "current" song will continue until complete, but playback stops until the active "Processing:" step associated with the import has finished; playback resumes when the next file starts processing.

Reported using Feedback - iTunes - Apple.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2018 2:01 PM in response to djayn

Agreed that this is definitely a problem with 12.7.4.76. No solution to offer, but a couple of other observations:

• There's no sign in Task Manager that iTunes is using excessive resources associated with this degraded performance - in the middle of a standard File > Add Folder to Library ... operation TM is showing this:User uploaded file
    which doesn't appear outside expected limits.
  • The file import is conflicting with playback: if I initiate File > Add Folder to Library ... while playing music, the "current" song will continue until complete, but playback stops until the active "Processing:" step associated with the import has finished; playback resumes when the next file starts processing.

Reported using Feedback - iTunes - Apple.

Apr 6, 2018 9:32 AM in response to djayn

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know it's not just me having the problems. I did revert back to 12.7.3.46 with the appropriate iTunes Library.itl file and it's working fine. I suggest everyone do this if they want to add files.

I find it hard to believe that the Apple Software engineers didn't notice such major problems before throwing it out there to foul up everyone. While I have never had such harsh problems in the past with these updates, I'll be leery from now on and stay with the version I have now as long as possible.

Apr 6, 2018 7:54 AM in response to djayn

Yes, 12.7.4.76 does the same thing here; it no longer checks if the song is already in the library and is unchanged on the disk, it just imports all tag info for everything. Takes over an hour to check my library for new items, used to take 45 seconds. It also does not remove orphans, still have to run a script to do that. I should not have updated...

Apr 20, 2018 8:28 AM in response to turingtest2

Following up, on 16apr18 a new release came out, 12.7.4.80, with little fanfare. My complaint re: adding folder to lib has

been addressed; it no longer takes an hour to complete. It is slower than 12.7.3.46, but now takes a few minutes rather than over an hour, making it usable again.

I did not check the artwork issue since I don't manage artwork with iTunes [since iTunes has NEVER bothered to accommodate the "Windows Standard" of using folder.jpg as the defacto album cover. But that horse is dust by now...]

Thanks....

iTunes Version 12.7.4.76 has big problems!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.