Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updating time capsule stuck preparing update

setting up time capsule for the first time, it asked if I wanted to update firmware, selected yes. and it is stuck on message, "preparing update" (Mac Mini late 2012, High Sierra 10.13.4)

How do I get unstuck and setup my time capsule? Thanks

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 6, 2018 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2018 8:32 AM

Just power cycle the Time Capsule. It might have upgraded and then got stuck or it failed to download the firmware correctly. Try again once you configure it but ignore the firmware upgrade for now. For lots of people the upgrade causes more issues than it helps. You can set to to not check firmware upgrades in airport utility under preferences and it will give you a green light.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2018 8:32 AM in response to myoikos

Just power cycle the Time Capsule. It might have upgraded and then got stuck or it failed to download the firmware correctly. Try again once you configure it but ignore the firmware upgrade for now. For lots of people the upgrade causes more issues than it helps. You can set to to not check firmware upgrades in airport utility under preferences and it will give you a green light.

Apr 7, 2018 8:40 AM in response to myoikos

I forgot to include that I was using a wired connection

Got it. Since you marked your issue as "solved", did the Time Capsule restart allow the new firmware update to "stick", or did the Time Capsule restart using the older firmware?

If the Time Capsule restarted using the older firmware.....and you don't want to be pestered to update by a blinking amber light on the Time Capsule......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Utility menu in the upper left corner of the screen

Click Preferences

Uncheck all of the boxes

User uploaded file

Apr 7, 2018 8:30 AM in response to myoikos

If you are trying to use wireless to update the firmware on the Time Capsule, you will likely have better luck....and a faster and more reliable connection.....if you temporarily connect your Mac to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable.

Connect from the Mac to one of the three LAN ports on the back of the Time Capsule

Be sure to turn off the WiFi on the Mac to insure that the connection will be over Ethernet

Once the update is complete, you can disconnect the Ethernet cable and turn the WiFi back on at your Mac

updating time capsule stuck preparing update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.