Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable automatic Apple Pay NFC popup

Is there any plans for Apple to allow the customer to have the choice to disable the automatic Apple Pay NFC popup window that sometimes appears? I have an iPhone X, and on it, the Apple Pay popup often activates by itself. It is a full-page popup, and it happens regardless of whatever else I was trying to do on the phone at the time. There seems to be no way to disable it. I read that this is triggered by a NFC signal received by the phone. It seems like a really clever prank that somebody could do, causing every iPhone X in the vicinity to become nearly useless. Maybe somebody has built such a NFC transmitter already. It seems like quite a security hole to have a full-screen popup that can be activated remotely, repeatedly, with no way to disable it.

It pops up by itself. I was at a park today, attending a Pokémon Go event, with dozens of other phones there, and sometimes it is triggered by other phones. The Apple Pay window automatically popped up, every 5 seconds, making the iPhone X nearly unusable! I'm really glad that I carried an Android phone as a backup. The Android phone was unaffected, and worked perfectly. I caught my Mewtwo!

The mandatory Apple Pay popup is not necessary. There's already plenty of ways to access the Apple Pay window: double-click the side button (when enabled), open the Wallet app, or touch the Wallet quick-settings icon in Control Center (when enabled). There seems to be no need for this popup window to appear automatically, and worse yet, for the user to have no way to disable it when it malfunctions like this.

There's a few other isolated cases of this happening. I read some other threads: 7188752, 7852137, 7988166, 7798892, 7599953, 6587928, among others. As these dozens become hundreds, more awareness will be raised of this problem. As these hundreds become thousands, it will start to get media attention. If it goes viral enough, maybe then, just maybe, Apple will start to care about it. I really wish that Apple would please provide the option for the customer to be able to disable the unwanted NFC popup window.

Thanks for reading this! If enough voices cry out in the wilderness, maybe they will be heard.

Josh

iPhone X, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 7, 2018 3:25 PM

There are no replies.

Disable automatic Apple Pay NFC popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.