Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Using Time Machine And Deleting All Its Backups

I have an iMac with a Lacie backup drive (3TB). I have been backing up to the Lacie using Intego Backup Assistant and Apple Time Machine. Last week I started getting messages that there was not enough space on the Lacie drive for backups. Up to this point advice from the web seemed to be for keeping both backups, but given my space issue I have decided to keep the Intego Assistant method and stop using Time Machine. My problem is how to delete the Time Machine backups to release space. Can anyone please advise as the web is full of processes that one set of people support and other abhor? Thanks

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 4:27 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 8, 2018 4:43 AM in response to Gareth Morris1

Apple checks in here every now and again. By and large however, this group is comprised of users just like yourself. So you will get both sides of the advice here as well.

I'm assuming the drive is partitioned now maybe 1.5 Gb for each back up solution? I'm also assuming this is your only backup drive, you don't backup periodically to another location or disk, in case something happens to this one?

If it were me: I'd ensure I had another disk of my complete back up, then based on my assumptions above, I'd reformat the partition that TimeMachine is using.

This is also a good time to point out, not so much for you, but for other readers. That because of the auto removal of "old" backups, TimeMachine is not as much of a back up system as it is a recovery system in the event your computer has a data loss. In that regard, TimeMachine is good at restoring it to the last saved state. If you delete files and don't realize until a year later, depending on file size and frequency of saves, that file may be gone forever by the auto purge feature.

Apr 8, 2018 4:55 AM in response to ZaZo

Hi Zazo - many thanks for such an instant reply. Much appreciated.

To clarify - the Lacie drive is not partitioned. I do have other backups for my own files (other external drives/pen drives) so I am confident I will not lose any personal data. I have asked Lacie about the wisdom of reformatting the drive and starting again with Intego Backup Assistant, but my immediate solution might be to delete all the Time Machine Backups. How I do this safely is my immediate issue. Can you advise?

Apr 8, 2018 5:10 AM in response to Gareth Morris1

The most consistent answer I see out there is this one:

https://soundsupport.biz/2013/05/05/manually-delete-time-machine-backups-from-a- hard-drive/

I have never personally done it as I take the brute force approach and clear the hard disk to start fresh, through a reformat.

Having said that, if you do the linked approach, make sure nothing else was accidentally copied into the backup folder they indicated in the process.

Apr 8, 2018 5:24 AM in response to ZaZo

That looks like the solution to me. Will try that first, though I suspect your "brute force" methodology may follow in the near future! Just for information do you reformat using MacOS Extended (Journaled) and, if so, do you use the Master Boot Record or GUID Partitioned Table option? I only use Macs so I do not usually use ex-FAT as I have no Windows machines.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond with such straightforward advice.

Stop Using Time Machine And Deleting All Its Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.