Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Wake Up Screen Glitch

When I wake up my mac from sleep, the screen glitches and displays static, but it's only a flash (0.5 seconds). I've seen posts about this happening in macbook pro as well, after we've updated to High Sierra. I've seen examples about screens with weird colors, but in my case is just a greyish static. This lasts for only a few seconds.

MacBook Air, High Sierra Version 10.13.4

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 11:14 AM

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences.
  6. Start the computer in Safe Mode. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.
  7. Use Apple Hardware Test to see if there is any hardware malfunction.
  8. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  9. Repair permissions on the Home folder: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  10. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  11. Download and install the OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or 10.12.6 Combo Update or Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Combo Update as needed.
  12. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  13. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

If none of the above helps then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2018 11:14 AM in response to nikibt

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac’s PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences.
  6. Start the computer in Safe Mode. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.
  7. Use Apple Hardware Test to see if there is any hardware malfunction.
  8. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  9. Repair permissions on the Home folder: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  10. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  11. Download and install the OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Combo Update or 10.12.6 Combo Update or Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Combo Update as needed.
  12. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Reinstall OS X then click on the Continue button.
  13. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

If none of the above helps then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

May 5, 2018 3:10 PM in response to nikibt

I have this issue, too, on a new 13" MBPro! Two to three seconds of pinkish-purple static screen after waking up from a long sleep. Already brought to 'genius' twice who ran diagnostics - it's not hardware. Already reinstalled OS twice, that didn't help either. They're calling it a 'cosmetic anomaly' and have no solution... In my book an anomaly is "something that deviates from what is standard, normal or expected" - and if a brand new computer was on display at the store and didn't perform as expected, they wouldn't sell it. But they did. I hope everyone with this anomaly reports it so that we can get a FIX and not just a shrug claiming there is none.

Jun 12, 2018 8:09 AM in response to nikibt

I'm having the same problem with my new-to-me refurbished 13-inch MacBook Pro, but my screen is a textured beige screen. I just got off a chat with support and they said to do the following:

(1) Reset the NVRAM or PRAM

(2) Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)

(3) Use safe mode to isolate issues

(4) Reinstall OSX

Has anyone had success with this? My frustration is I spent a lot of money on a new MacBook Pro and feel like I got sold a lemon. I shouldn't have to do any of this kind of maintenance when it's less than 3 weeks old. I'm tempted to just return it under warranty since who knows what other glitches this thing has.

Aug 4, 2018 5:29 PM in response to nikibt

I've got a different version. When my 2018 new MacBookPro 15" awakes after a long sleep the window has shrunk towards the upper left corner, as per the attached photo. Also, the mouse no longer tracks the image, that is, the cursor that I can see is NOT where it "clicks". I've managed to get it back to normal from this condition, which resulted in a flash of colored static in the black areas when the screen resizes. That said, getting the cursor in the right place is a pain, so I'm currently shutting down the computer rather than letting it sleep which is a pain.

User uploaded file

May 9, 2018 1:58 PM in response to nikibt

@nikibt and @fromlj2u is the view you see similar to the one posted in this thread: https://i.imgur.com/wfZTfAo.jpg? Mac OS 10.13.4 wake up screen glitch

I am really hoping it's a software issue that can be solved soon and not a hardware issue where I have to take my computer into the store. For reference, I purchased the MacBook Pro in December 2017 and experienced the "grey static" when upgrading to 10.13.3. When upgrading to 10.13.4, the issue temporarily went away and then returned.

When did you purchase your computer and did you experience this with both 10.13.3 and 10.13.4?

Aug 14, 2018 1:15 PM in response to BrianSince84

What fixed this was resetting the PRAM or NVRAM by following these instructions.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

I had migrated my MacBook Air 13" to the new MacBookPro 15" and the screen was trying to be a MacBook Air.

Also, I had to search to figure out how to change the computer's name - it's under Sharing in System Preferences.

May 9, 2018 2:46 PM in response to Styna

For me sometimes it’s a color glitch and others it’s that kind of static like the one from the other thread. I bought my macbook last August actually. I don’t recall before upgrading the operating system if it occured, but can’t say if it was something related to that or it was that i didnt pay attention. I am worried though because the more i talk with apple users, the more people tell me it happens for them aswell... this is why i suspect it’s a hardware thing...

May 9, 2018 5:03 PM in response to Styna

Yes, similar, but more pinkish purple. Lasts about 2-3 seconds. Longest 2-3 seconds ever when every time I open the lid to do something important, I never know if it's actually going to go away and work. It's very disconcerting!

I purchased MBP May 2017 and this didn't start until about April 2018. Glitch occur(ed) and (s) on both 10.13.3 and .4.

After many visits and many escalated calls, it still seems that Apple doesn't know what's wrong. But it also seems that just because THEY don't know what's wrong doesn't mean that my warranty is INVALID. Wish they'd stand by their product.

May 9, 2018 5:06 PM in response to nikibt

I answered Styna's post above... Both of you guys - take a video(s) of when it happens and then call in to Apple Support and get a senior advisor and make sure they send you the email with the specific link so that you can attach and send in the videos for them to send to Engineering. We have to get more of us on this for them to make a move! Thanks.

Jun 12, 2018 10:13 AM in response to Seattle18Nomad

Nope. No success with ANY of those steps.

If it happens after a long sleep, make sure you have your iPhone ready to video tape it. Call Apple Support. Get a supervisor. They send you an email with a link to download files. There are so many people with this same issue, but no one at Apple seems to be helping! We shouldn't have to spend this much time trouble shooting on a new $1500 computer. The more people reporting, maybe the quicker this 'anomaly' as they call it, will get fixed. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2018 3:53 AM in response to nikibt

In my case, i get a totally greyed-out screen on wake-up that hangs around for a good 2 or 3 minutes. At the end of which the Mac doesn't recognize my mouse. I have to turn it off and then turn it back on again to get it to work. For me, this just started when I "upgraded" to High Sierra 10.13.5 a couple of days ago.

Jun 30, 2018 4:14 PM in response to gonzalocarrillo

Oh my! Well Apple? There’s more and more people with the same problem!!! Clean install(s) didn’t fix it! Logic board and screen replacement didn’t fix it! Please at least acknowledge this issue and let us all know if it will be fixed with 10.14.

In the meantime - everyone with this issue also has to call in. Get to a supervisor. Take a video of it happening with iPhone. Have them send you a link so you can upload it for engineers. Squeaky wheel is the only way! Thanks!

Mac Wake Up Screen Glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.