Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone storage full bug

Since the last update (11.3) my iPhone keeps telling me that my storage is full, although it‘s clearly not (see pictures attached).

It was, yes, but then I transferred (as I usually do when this happens) all my pictures to my computer (over 400), reduced the email syncing time to a week to get rid of any downloaded attachments, cleared the Safari cache and history, deleted all the apps that I‘m not using, and ended up with over 2.5 GB of free space according to the storage manager. This usually does the trick but not this time: there‘s a badge icon on the settings app and, when I open it, it says that the storage is full.

I restarted it already (holding power and home button), doesn‘t help. I also contacted the apple support, and they told me to set it up as new (yay).

What I don‘t want: a full reset and setting up as new, because I don‘t want to loose my conversation history.

What I would prefer to avoid if possible: reset and backing up from itunes/icloud backup (cause then I l’d have to enter many passwords again and it‘s super annoying, though manageable).

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!!!!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 10:16 PM

When you back up in iTunes if you click "encrypted backup" (set up a password) that it will copy all your network and other passwords. Thus you won't have to type them again.

One question: how did you update? I assume OTA (not via iTunes)? Because it might have had low storage and/or some file remained after the update. I always advise people with 16GB iPhone to update only via iTunes as updating requires downloading packages, unpacking them, etc and this requires additional storage.

What bothers me is that big chunk of "Other" taking up almost 50% of your space. Try doing this:

1. Clear Safari cache data and Remove all Website Data.

2. Remove email accounts (to remove cached emails, attachments, etc), restart and reenter your email accounts.

If this doesn't work I would do the following: back up encrypted, set the phone up as new and see for 1-2 days if this is ok and then restore from the backup.

Cheers!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2018 10:16 PM in response to knufixwuck

When you back up in iTunes if you click "encrypted backup" (set up a password) that it will copy all your network and other passwords. Thus you won't have to type them again.

One question: how did you update? I assume OTA (not via iTunes)? Because it might have had low storage and/or some file remained after the update. I always advise people with 16GB iPhone to update only via iTunes as updating requires downloading packages, unpacking them, etc and this requires additional storage.

What bothers me is that big chunk of "Other" taking up almost 50% of your space. Try doing this:

1. Clear Safari cache data and Remove all Website Data.

2. Remove email accounts (to remove cached emails, attachments, etc), restart and reenter your email accounts.

If this doesn't work I would do the following: back up encrypted, set the phone up as new and see for 1-2 days if this is ok and then restore from the backup.

Cheers!

May 14, 2018 8:06 PM in response to xman_ghio

Thanks so much for your answer! My problem was solved! 🙂

I had not updated my iPhone via iTunes, but via the Settings on my iPhone. So thanks for the suggestion, I'll update via iTunes from now on!

That chunk of "Other" comes most likely from Spotify (I don't use the Music app anymore), so I don't think that was the issue. I removed and offloaded all kinds of things, including Spotify, cleared the Safari history, removed all the mail accounts, and restarted it with no success. My iPhone kept reminding me that my storage was full even though it wasn't.

I hence gave up and decided to reset my iPhone and restore from an encrypted iTunes backup, and this worked! I hate doing this because then I have to download and set up all kinds of things again (eg, my music on Spotify, Touch ID, etc), but encrypting the backup (something that I didn't know you could do, which, btw, Apple support did not mention to me) as you suggested definitely helped a lot! Thanks so much for this!

Anyway, that badge app icon is GONE, and I'm happy! 🙂

I even reinstalled all my email accounts and redownloaded all my music, and it didn't reappear, so it was, in my opinion, a bug, and reminded me once again that Apple support hardly ever admits that they screwed up and that their "set up from new" solution is not always necessary.

Thanks again for your help, xman_ghio!

iPhone storage full bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.