Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rebuilt Fusion drive is not using the SSD

My rebuilt 3TB fusion drive (on late 2012 iMac) is very slow (appears not to be using the SSD according to iStat Menus).

User uploaded file

The 3TB HDD was replace by my local Apple approved service centre and configured to back to a fusion drive coupled with 128GB SSD. After initial setup which installed OS X High Sierra the boot times were 2 to 3 minutes. Using iStat Menus app I could see the SSD was not being used.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I have reinstalled the OS X many times via the recovery options, erasing the drive (formatting to Mac OS Extended - Journalled) installing High Sierra as well as erasing the drive and installing the original Mountain Lion OS X and then upgrading to High Sierra. I have read the the OS should automatically move files which are accessed frequently to the SSD but this doesn't appear to be happening.

In my frustration I have purchased a new machine with a 2TB fusion drive and compared the makeup of the fusion drives and apart from the different sizes (3TB and 2TB) they are the same (except the disk0s2 SSD protocol on the old iMac is SATA and on the new iMac it's PCI-Express), see attached System Info/Storage details.

User uploaded file

I can't find any other info on this specific issue or anyone else having the same issue. I don't want to have to pull this fusion drive apart and rebuild it myself but that would be my next step. Am I missing something obvious. There was a post from someone who installed the OS on the SSD before creating the fusion drive.

iMac, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 9, 2018 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2018 2:56 AM

First, if the HDD was replaced by Apple and it isn’t functioning as a fusion drive you should take it back to Apple, that work s guarenteed. If you want to re-create the fusion drive yourself it isn’t difficult How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 9, 2018 3:42 AM in response to SeaPapp

It wasn't Apple but a friend who works for an independant repair shop.

I was going to say that the link you sent was for fusion drives which have split and that mine hasn't,

but following the instructions:

"Choose Apple () menu > About This Mac, then click the Storage tab"

I see my fusion drive has split!

User uploaded file

Thanks, this explains why it's not working correctly.

Rebuilt Fusion drive is not using the SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.