Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete user on MacBook.

I am unable to delete a standard user on my MacBook Air. Whenever I enter the password to delete the account it is saying that it is incorrect when I know for a fact that it is correct. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 9, 2018 6:22 PM

11 replies

Apr 10, 2018 4:58 PM in response to taylorread

taylorread wrote:

To get to where I am I start at system preferences> users & groups>click lock to make changes>user I want to deletes name>minus symbol.

When I follow these steps, starting in my account (which has Admin privilege), I only see this screen and am never asked for a password (after I click the lock and enter my admin password there).

User uploaded file

Once I select "Delete user" from the screen above, the account is removed. Again, the only password prompt I receive is when clicking the lock. So perhaps you're not starting from an account with Admin privilege.

Jun 22, 2018 6:43 AM in response to kai-h

We ended up wiping and reinstalling the machine we had. In theory, one could try a "sysadminctl -secureTokenOn" (one thing I read said a dscl . -append blah-blah-blah worked too) but I couldn't get the sysadminctl command to work and just gave up.

High Sierra could not turn on FileVault after turning it off

Secure Token and FileVault on Apple File System | Der Flounder

sysadminctl changes in 10.13 affecting FileVault | Babo D's Corner

Jun 6, 2018 3:59 PM in response to taylorread

Couple of questions. I don't have any answers. I ran into the same error message and haven't fixed it yet. But if you still have this problem, I was curious ...

1. Is this High Sierra?
  2. Is the computer formatted APFS (default for SSD)?
  3. Is the computer FileVault encrypted (might not matter)?
  4. Was Geoff Blewitt the first account that was logged into on the computer?
  5. Was the "Taylor" account created with Migration Assistant or from the command line?
  6. If you run the command, shown below, in Terminal does Geoff have a Secure Token and does Taylor not?

dscl . list /Users | grep -v '_' | xargs -I {} sysadminctl -secureTokenStatus {}

I'm starting to get the feeling that APFS's Secure Token "feature" may be causing these weird headaches.

Secure Token and FileVault on Apple File System | Der Flounder

Apr 10, 2018 4:26 PM in response to sberman

When I press the minus sign to delete the user I am then asked "To delete user you need to enter their password." Then in a subheading it says "Enter your password to allow this." I have set my password and the user I want to deletes password to the same word in hopes of it working either way.

To get to where I am I start at system preferences> users & groups>click lock to make changes>user I want to deletes name>minus symbol.

Jun 21, 2018 11:04 PM in response to Kenji Kono

I just wanted to say I have this problem too.

This is the first time I've ever seen this in nearly 20 years of administering and supporting Macs professionally.

The user I'm trying to delete may have been brought over to the new system via Migration Assistant, but I can't be 100% sure.

I have an admin user on the Mac, that I'm logged in as.

There were two user accounts on the Mac as well, one that I was able to delete (that's only existed for a week or two) and one that I can't delete as it's asking for the user's password.

I have entered the user's password, and I know with 100% certainty this is the correct password as I can use it to log in, and the dialog box just shakes it's head at me.

The computer is a Mac Pro 2010 model (tall tower) running High Sierra 10.13.5 on a 3rd Party SSD (Intel) that is APFS. FileVault is NOT enabled.

The admin user was created programatically (createUserPkg or something like that), and has UID 499. The user I'm trying to delete has UID 502.

I've run the dscl command and it shows the user I'm deleting has a secure token ENABLED.

If I run sudo sysadminctl -deleteUser <username> it says:

User <username> can not be deleted (it's either let admin user or last secure token user neither of which can be deleted)

I don't know however how to assign my admin user a Secure Token and then remove the token from the regular user, or delete the regular user altogether...

Unable to delete user on MacBook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.