Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie will not log in into YouTube

I was running into issues with iMovie not uploading my videos to YouTube for about a day and I saw there was an update for iMovie. So I did update it; however, now it appears that it will not log me back into YouTube. It goes through the sign in and gives me that the Authorization was successful but on my return to iMovie, it is asking me sign in again and again and again. I confirmed that all of my updates are all up to date.

I did recently changed my YouTube channel name a little bit...I think that's when I ran into the not uploading me videos but now I am totally unable to get back. I have unistalled and reinstalled iMovie several times and restarted it like 10-times...but I cannot figure out why is my YouTube sign in not going through.

Any help/idea is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Apr 9, 2018 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 4:26 PM

Good afternoon JCoyle123,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!
I understand you recently made some changes to your YouTube channel, and updated your iMovie software, but you are no longer able to export your iMove projects to YouTube. Are you getting an error message from the iMovie application or from the YouTube website? What is the exact error message?
One way to address this issue is to export your movie project to a folder on your Mac or to an external drive. Then, access the YouTube website via Safari, sign in to your YouTube account, and then upload the file directly. If you are not able to sign in to your account this way, then you know the issue is with YouTube and not the iMovie application. This workflow also provides you with a copy of your movie for backup purposes.
Looking at the YouTube support website, I noticed there has been a change to the sign in process. You no longer sign in with your YouTube username, but with your YouTube or Google Account email. I wonder if this may be part of the issue?
Can't sign in with YouTube username - Google Support

If you're having trouble signing in with your YouTube username, try signing in to your account by entering your full email address. Then, enter the same password you’ve been using to sign in to YouTube.

You're still signing into the same account as always—you just need to enter the email address on the account instead of your YouTube username.

Why do I need to sign in to a Google Account on YouTube?

You access YouTube with your Google Account. The password you've used to sign in is your Google Account password.

As we integrate services across Google, we no longer support signing in to Google Accounts with YouTube usernames. Instead, you need to sign into YouTube with your Google Account email address (this is often Gmail, but can also be a different domain like Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.). Learn more about using your Google Account for YouTube.

But I don’t like my Google Account email address!

Some old YouTube channels (created before May 2009) are not part of a Google Account. Find out how to access a YouTube channel that's not part of a Google Account.

You mentioned you are working with iMovie for Mac. If you use any third party software with YouTube, you will need to create an app-specific password for it:
Using app-specific passwords
Enjoy your day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2018 4:26 PM in response to JCoyle123

Good afternoon JCoyle123,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!
I understand you recently made some changes to your YouTube channel, and updated your iMovie software, but you are no longer able to export your iMove projects to YouTube. Are you getting an error message from the iMovie application or from the YouTube website? What is the exact error message?
One way to address this issue is to export your movie project to a folder on your Mac or to an external drive. Then, access the YouTube website via Safari, sign in to your YouTube account, and then upload the file directly. If you are not able to sign in to your account this way, then you know the issue is with YouTube and not the iMovie application. This workflow also provides you with a copy of your movie for backup purposes.
Looking at the YouTube support website, I noticed there has been a change to the sign in process. You no longer sign in with your YouTube username, but with your YouTube or Google Account email. I wonder if this may be part of the issue?
Can't sign in with YouTube username - Google Support

If you're having trouble signing in with your YouTube username, try signing in to your account by entering your full email address. Then, enter the same password you’ve been using to sign in to YouTube.

You're still signing into the same account as always—you just need to enter the email address on the account instead of your YouTube username.

Why do I need to sign in to a Google Account on YouTube?

You access YouTube with your Google Account. The password you've used to sign in is your Google Account password.

As we integrate services across Google, we no longer support signing in to Google Accounts with YouTube usernames. Instead, you need to sign into YouTube with your Google Account email address (this is often Gmail, but can also be a different domain like Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.). Learn more about using your Google Account for YouTube.

But I don’t like my Google Account email address!

Some old YouTube channels (created before May 2009) are not part of a Google Account. Find out how to access a YouTube channel that's not part of a Google Account.

You mentioned you are working with iMovie for Mac. If you use any third party software with YouTube, you will need to create an app-specific password for it:
Using app-specific passwords
Enjoy your day!

Apr 14, 2018 10:50 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi,

the funny part is that I am not getting any error messages...it says that my log in is successful but when I try to upload a movie with iMovie, it gets stuck in a circle and prompts me to log in again and again and again. I am able to upload my movies when I save them on my computer and upload them on YouTube...so not sure what is happening 😟

iMovie will not log in into YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.