Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after macOS 10.13.4 update iCloud drive makes finder unresponsive

Hi all,

I've recently updated to macOS 10.13.4. After the restart I got the message that iCloud Drive failed because the helper application could not be started. This has rendered my finder completely unresponsive ("Application Not Responding"). I could not open any file on my computer, restarting finder did not help. Running `brctl log --wait --shorten` in the terminal showed that there were sync errors, but I could not interpret or address them. Unticking iCloud Drive in the iCloud sync preferences panel released the block on finder straightaway (and files opened that I had tried opening while it was unresponsive). I have tried several things:

- signing out and in of iCloud.

- waiting 12 hours with iCloud Drive on to see if the sync errors are resolved.

- removing the .plist preferences for Finder from ~/Library/...
- resetting PRAM and SMC.

No luck...

Any ideas that I haven't tried yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2018 3:40 AM

Hi all,

the issue I reported above on April 10th has been solved after installing the Security Update 2018-001 to macOS 10.13.4.

For those of you who are struggling with a similar issue, I'm sorry that there hasn't been a more constructive solution, but at least for me everything is working again.

Cheers

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 18, 2018 1:11 PM in response to lennartinge

Had the same issue as well. Finder very slow due to this icloud pop-up.

My temporary Solution:

• Go the Settings
  • Go to icloud settings
  • Uncheck icloud

A couple of popups will appear asking for a local sync of you files. Ignore them as the finder is to slow to sync those files.

• Restart

Without icloud it wokrs properly. If I reanable icloud again it's messing with the finder.

after macOS 10.13.4 update iCloud drive makes finder unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.