Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro screen flickering solution

Hello. Has anyone had random screen flickering running High Sierra10.13.4? This is a new issue that started last weekend and its now continuing. Only change to configuration was installing Office 2016 a few days before flickering started. Sometimes after opening the cover I am getting a pink screen before it loads the wallpaper...

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply
98 replies

Jun 12, 2018 8:48 AM in response to mollybrownson

@Molly

I'm sure you'll find no surprise in this but mine was ultimately replaced, and the replacement machine exhibits the exact same issue. I'm currently working with a Senior Advisor at AppleCare but have yet been given any concrete information as to a fix or workaround. I handed over a data file and some small videos I took of the issue while it's happening, and am waiting to find out what happens with their engineering people. I don't want to speculate as to the cause except to say that I think this problem may be endemic to this computer model.

The only things I've found out that may be of consequence...

- If I leave the MacBook Pro plugged-in but not hooked-up to anything else, the issue does not spawn, and presumably because of Power Nap.

- If the MacBook Pro is on battery-only, and wakes from Standby Mode, I have a 2:1 chance of it happening.

- I've left the MacBook Pro without anything hooked-up to it overnight (on battery), wake it in the morning, and it flickers.

- Close/re-open the lid doesn't always work to clear the flicker(ing), I will often have to reboot the Mac to get it back to normal.

- NVRAM and SMC resets don't resolve it.

- Even a fresh install (format/erase; no extra software) doesn't resolve the issue.

At first, they theorized the problem was related to an external monitor I often use (27" ACER K272HL 1080p) but it flickered and continues to flicker without an external monitor involved. My wife uses the ACER monitor all the time with her work MacBook Pro (via DVI) and has no issues with it, no flickering. I think that theory doesn't yet hold water but who knows.

The model of the original and replacement MacBook Pro is the same so it remains unclear if this is software and/or hardware. To date, AppleCare has given me absolutely no indication as to if/what the problem is, or what will fix it--the waiting game continues.... ♂ I'm hoping this gets resolved quickly. I've been a Mac owner for fifteen years, this is not helping my confidence in the product.

Anecdotal to this problem, I'm using my wife's old white unibody MacBook (2009) as a workaround, only sparingly using the MacBook Pro as-needed. I spent a few hours over the weekend updating the MacBook to 10.13.5 High Sierra, and it's working just fine albeit slower than the MacBook Pro but no flickering at all. I'm using this white MacBook with the same ACER monitor, no issues, flickering or otherwise. For an older, slower machine, it works pretty well considering it's been mothballed for nearly three years. I'm glad we decided to keep it as a backup.

User uploaded file

Jun 14, 2018 8:05 AM in response to cabeerbaltimore

Thanks. I'm just trying to narrow it down. I'm not saying it is Firefox exclusively but perhaps one of a handful that injects a deleterious effect on the way the GPU works. Knock on wood, I'm entering my third day and haven't seen the flickering. I'm only using Safari at the moment, I do not use Chrome, and have since uninstalled Firefox.

Some of my personal usage patterns that demonstrate graphic anomalies, including the all-black screen flickering...

When I'm on Lucidchart.com (CPU & GPU-intensive site), and this black screen/flickering upon wake issue was happening, the site would periodically show fuzziness and distortions in the graphics while working on flowcharts (zooming in/out, panning, etc.); however, I've not seen any of these distortions since I completely removed Firefox, reset the SMC, reset the NVRAM. Previously, resetting SMC and NVRAM did not resolve the issue but I was using Firefox periodically for compatibility reasons on a few work-related sites.

Netflix does flicker one time only as the status bars disappear, and YouTube has been flawless.

My external monitor would periodically go "fuzzy" or "out of focus" (best example I can give). I sent the monitor in to ACER, and they sent it back to me with a "no trouble found" note. My wife uses the monitor with DVI (not HDMI as I do) and hasn't had a problem with it. The issues with fuzziness or flickering have not spawned in the last three days so I am hopeful that whatever was causing the problem may have been addressed but we'll see.

That's all I can come up with, hopefully it is of some use to you all as we wait for either a fix or workaround.

PS: this is the exact model I have...

User uploaded file

Sep 10, 2018 1:47 AM in response to idenizen

Oh yeah I’m totally having all of these issues, it only flickers in full screen mode. I’ve had apple techs help reset the RAM and redownload High Sierra. I’ve sent the computer off to the repair facility and that didn’t work. It still flickers and it gives me the pink and green screen at wake up before my wallpaper. I’m convinced it is just High Sierra. User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jul 16, 2018 9:56 PM in response to kims2

There is Some fix available just try with this..

Method 1: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

NVRAM is short term of Nonvolatile Random-Access Memory. It is a short memory for quick access to certain settings. Systems that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, boot-disk selection, time zone and recent kernel frighten information.

Steps to to reset NVRAM:

• Press Option, Command, P, and R Keys all together.
  • Release after 20 seconds.
  • Meanwhile that time Mac can restart.
Note: If your Mac uses a firmware password, this key combination will not mix or boot your Mac from MacOS retrieval. To restore NVRAM, first turn off the firmware password.

Method 2: Reset SMC

SMC is short term of System Management Controller. We have to reset and try because it is responsible for other low-level functions of Intel based Mac book.Steps to reset the SMC:For Non Removable Battery

• Go to Apple menu and Shut Down it.
  • When shuts down process completes then press on the left side of the built-in keyboard, Shift-Control-Option, the power button all together.
  • Release after 10 seconds.
  • Now press the power button to re-run your Mac.

For more..http://www.techmazza.com/how-to-fix-macbook-screen-flickering-issue/

May 29, 2018 11:39 AM in response to bomalkevych

I've exchanged 3 times now. Consistent issues with both the keys and the display on all of them. I'm heading back to the Apple Store AGAIN tonight. Its becoming glaringly obvious that this model was a complete lemon. I'm in a class of about 20 students that all got brand new MacBook Pro's 2017 model in January and most of the class has had issues.

May 29, 2018 7:38 PM in response to kims2

Just started having this problem as well.

Prior to this my macbook pro 15" touchbar had a "kernel panic" within a few days of owning it.

Took it to the macstore to fix, they replaced a part and it was fine for a while.

couple months later it started making a popping sound randomly in the screen.... got it fixed system wiped.

Now it keeps suddenly crashing for no reason or when i open my laptop from sleep mode after a few minutes, it will crash again.

Got an appointment to get it fixed again and it just started flickering today.

Hope they figure this out. This model has just been a nightmare ridden with issues.

Jun 1, 2018 7:13 PM in response to kims2

Mine started doing this after 10.13.4. I am now on 10.13.5 (released today) and it did it again this afternoon.

Randomly, it will just begin flashing on/off/on after I login to macOS. The only workaround is to close the lid and re-open it again.

I just booted into Safe Mode, reset NVRAM and SMC (again), will see if there is any improvement.

My logic board and display were both replaced a few months ago for an unrelated issue, before 10.13.4 was released in April.

I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro 560.

Jun 1, 2018 10:07 PM in response to Oso Grande

Sorry to hear that, That really S.U.C.K.S, hopefully apple addresses this, I have given my MBP(mid 2017) to apple store and he said this is happening frequent as he has seen the same issue in the past, they kept my laptop and said they will be sending it to repair facility, they might replace screen(he was not sure though) , I wish if they can give a new laptop, or make sure my laptop remain in the same pristine condition (after repair) as i have given it to them.

Jun 2, 2018 6:20 PM in response to Sid J

Thanks. I just got off of the phone with AppleCare. It started doing it again this afternoon.

The rep had me do a Disk First Aid, then do an in-place reinstall of macOS. It’s dubious if this will fix it but I’m willing to try anything. The next step is to do a complete wipe/re-install, then go to the store for repair.

My logic board and display were replaced for an unrelated issue a two months ago so this is on a replacement board and display.

Has anyone had any success with reinstalling macOS? Fingers crossed.

Jun 2, 2018 6:46 PM in response to Oso Grande

Don’t do that re-install , that’s just BS , apple store acknowledges that’s it’s an issue , go one more time to Apple store and talk to their manager , this is not cool , hopefully they will replace your computer !

Ask them if they can , as in your case it’s happening so often !

I mean it’s crazy , we pay $2400 + for this laptop and it’s like doing this crazy stuff , not cool !

Let me know how your experience goes !

MacBook Pro screen flickering solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.