Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cancelled my Apple Music, now ALL my music is deleted

I have cancelled my Apple Music subscription in February and since then, apparently, ALL THE MUSIC I had on my mac, regardless if it had been purchased on iTunes or google music or any other source has been deleted. My library is completely empty.

Tried restoring purchases, it says there is no audiobook (?!?!) I can download - obviously, I have never bought an audio book, but there are several tracks& albums bought from itunes, which are missing. Also, for the moment i still have my music on my iphone, but I'm afraid it's going to be deleted from there as well, without me even knowing or being asked.

APPLE, BRING BACK THE MUSIC ON MY MAC!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), iTunes 12.7.4.76

Posted on Apr 11, 2018 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 8:59 AM

I actually did have quite a chat with an Apple support team member and she was kind enough to point out the fact that, although i DID have a service that pushed my content to icloud, it doesn't seem to have been icloud music library, but a hybrid between the simple iCloud back up and iCloud music library. In some ways, for some reasons, when i subscribed to apple music, that initial service was updated to icloud music library and linked to my apple music subscription.

It sounds very strange, but that's what I managed to understand from all the things she said. Although she did point me to some other ways of trying to recover my music (initially, for some reason, thinking it's an iPhone issue, not a mac issue), then we even tried tricking icloud into giving back my stuff through trying to recover artist/album art and updating icloud music library from File-Library-Update iCloud Music Library. None of these worked.

Finally, she registered a formal complaint with Apple tech team, requesting the software engineers to review the possibility of this being a bug. I'm not sure if she actually did do that or if she told me this in order to reassure me...

What DID work in the end was me subscribing to Apple Music AGAIN, when immediately all of my media became available for download. And I immediately downloaded everything and made a copy of my iTunes media folder, so that when I cancel my subscription again tomorrow everything will not be lost again.

Once more, tt2, thanks for trying to help me, but unfortunately the only thing that did work for me was resubscribing, downloading items, cancelling subscription. iCloud music library is just a great, yet poorly implemented feature that, in my opinion, should definitely work when you have a big iCloud space subscription, not just when you have an Apple Music subscription. It would just complement every other collaborative feature between mac&iPhone&iPad&apple TV, so yeah, I do think it should "just work"!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2018 8:59 AM in response to turingtest2

I actually did have quite a chat with an Apple support team member and she was kind enough to point out the fact that, although i DID have a service that pushed my content to icloud, it doesn't seem to have been icloud music library, but a hybrid between the simple iCloud back up and iCloud music library. In some ways, for some reasons, when i subscribed to apple music, that initial service was updated to icloud music library and linked to my apple music subscription.

It sounds very strange, but that's what I managed to understand from all the things she said. Although she did point me to some other ways of trying to recover my music (initially, for some reason, thinking it's an iPhone issue, not a mac issue), then we even tried tricking icloud into giving back my stuff through trying to recover artist/album art and updating icloud music library from File-Library-Update iCloud Music Library. None of these worked.

Finally, she registered a formal complaint with Apple tech team, requesting the software engineers to review the possibility of this being a bug. I'm not sure if she actually did do that or if she told me this in order to reassure me...

What DID work in the end was me subscribing to Apple Music AGAIN, when immediately all of my media became available for download. And I immediately downloaded everything and made a copy of my iTunes media folder, so that when I cancel my subscription again tomorrow everything will not be lost again.

Once more, tt2, thanks for trying to help me, but unfortunately the only thing that did work for me was resubscribing, downloading items, cancelling subscription. iCloud music library is just a great, yet poorly implemented feature that, in my opinion, should definitely work when you have a big iCloud space subscription, not just when you have an Apple Music subscription. It would just complement every other collaborative feature between mac&iPhone&iPad&apple TV, so yeah, I do think it should "just work"!

Apr 13, 2018 9:07 AM in response to Attila K

I'm glad to hear you were able to recover your content, that is good news. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for the strategy I use to keep my backup to to date. I always pay keen attention to what it thinks should be deleted from the backup set before I let it proceed. This allowed me to recover from a very nasty bug some years ago when iTunes decided to throw away nearly all of my downloaded podcast episodes.

I think both Apple Music and iTunes Match should issue a very large and clear warning that all of a user's media should be downloaded to local storage before the service is cancelled.

tt2

Apr 13, 2018 8:59 AM in response to Attila K

What I am saying is this: I had a service running (iCloud music library).

I don't believe that you did, not unless you previously had iTunes Match which you then let lapse in favour of Apple Music.

There are three levels of cloud service for iTunes.

• iTunes in the Cloud: Free access to past purchases from the iTunes Store that have not been removed by their respective rights holders. You can download or stream any unhidden past purchases to any compatible device on demand, although a feature called association prevents you accessing content from different Apple IDs in this way by locking you to one ID for 90 days each time you change.
  • iTunes Match: Annual subscription service. As iTunes in the Cloud, but music purchased from outside the iTunes Store, ripped from CD, etc. can be either matched or uploaded (there are exceptions for quality, size, etc.). As before you can download or stream on demand. This should not be treated as an alternative to local storage or backup, because matching may not always be perfect (e.g. studio vs. live, clean vs. explicit), purchases can (albeit rarely for music) be removed by rights holders, and if you make an error deleting the cloud copy from iTunes that will be reflected in the other copies of your library meaning you won't be able to recover the deleted item. Once items are match or uploaded you can remove the local download but with the caveat that you should download all of the content that you want to keep before closing your subscription to the service, unless you already have it backed up elsewhere.
  • Apple Music: Monthly subscription service. As iTunes Match with additional access to nearly all music in the iTunes Store catalogue.

The last two services include the iCloud Music Library feature, which allows for changes in one library to be automatically reflected in others. With iTunes in the Cloud if you hide a past purchase it is hidden from the purchase history on all devices, but nothing is ever removed from a device or permanently removed from your purchase history, and there is no mirroring of playlists. If you no longer have either of the iCloud Music Library services then what is stored locally and subject to Apple Music DRM won't work any more, what is free from that type of DRM will, what is in the cloud and is purchased content will work, and should you still see anything that isn't a purchase then it won't work.

I don't know what is and isn't stored locally on your hard drive, but the screenshot would seem to indicate little or nothing. You won't be able to sign into iCloud Music Library because the subscription is inactive. Even if you paid for a new month now there is every likelyhood that all those cloud items you see now would be removed and you would start off with an empty iCloud Music Library showing nothing but your unhidden purchases. You would need to contact iTunes Store support for a definitive view on that, and even they might have trouble finding an answer. I don't know if they have a way to rescue your account as it was. Ask them.

tt2

Apr 12, 2018 10:45 AM in response to Attila K

Hello Attila,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that your personal music library is missing on your MacBook Pro. Being able to enjoy your music when you want is important. You've come to the right place for help.

Let's start by redownloading your music purchased though the iTunes Store:

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store - Apple Support

If you do not see your previous purchases, follow the steps in this section:

Check to see if the purchases you're looking for are hidden. If your purchases are hidden, you might not see them even after you follow the steps in this article. Learn how to unhide purchases.

To locate music that was not purchased through the iTunes Store, check out the following:

Locate and organize your iTunes media files - Apple Support

While the following support article is for help if music is missing after updating iTunes, it has some relevant steps to restore your iTunes library:

If you don't see your entire library after you update iTunes on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Keep us posted with what happens from here.

Cheers!

Apr 12, 2018 12:34 PM in response to Attila K

Since you've cancelled Apple Music, and I presume not installed iTunes Match, you cannot use iCloud Music Library any more. Use iTunes > Preferences > General to turn it off and Apple Music features too.

Had you chosen to keep all of your media in the cloud when using Apple Music to save space on the computer? If so you should have redownloaded everything that was from your library rather than Apple Music before closing the account.

See Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device. You may be able to recover any non-DRM content from the iPhone.

tt2

Apr 13, 2018 4:04 AM in response to Attila K

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that if you put all of your eggs in one basket and throw away the basket then you've got no eggs. You were paying an ongoing subscription to access content stored in the cloud. What makes you think you should still have access to the service once you've cancelled it? Your purchases from the iTunes Store should still be available to you, although the way you have done things may have hidden them. Anything that wasn't purchased from the store that you had ripped locally, or obtained from other services, will have been lost if you didn't download it first and it isn't stored on a backup or device you can extract it from.

See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support to unhide any of your past purchases that have been hidden. Then see Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store - Apple Support to download them. Anything that wasn't bought from Apple can be restored from its respective cloud service and/or you can re-rip your CDs.

tt2

Apr 12, 2018 11:30 AM in response to Teddy_B

Hi Jameson.H

Thanks for your response. I followed the steps you mentioned and, once I replaced the library file, my original songs seemed to reappear. Glad as I was, I thought it had solved my problem. But NO, none of the songs will play and an orange exclamation point appears in the upper right corner of my itunes app telling me "We couldn't make you iCloud Music Library available. Click retry". Did I click retry? YES, a bunch of times, every time typing in my itunes password, but it does NOT work.

All my songs are greyed out, none of the will play and this thing is just a big load of crap. On each song there's the icon showing it's in icloud, not in local library, but it will not download any of them.

So what would your advice in this situation be?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,

Attila

Apr 12, 2018 11:21 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your reply, turingtest2.

What you are saying is, basically, it’s OK for Apple to wipe out anything off my mac, any of my data, just because it has some BUGS in some services it provides for a monthly fee.

My iTunes had been using iCloud music library before i had subscribed to Apple music and everything was fine, i could just redownload any piece of MY music on the spot when i wanted to play it. It had the same iCloud icon near it as they do now, only back then it used to work.

Now, after having had Apple music for about a year and deciding there are other options out there which suit me better, i just cancelled my membership as easily and Simply as i had subscribed in the first place. Not one moment of time while doing this had it occured to me “Hey, you should scour all of apple’s discussion Board and lots of other online forums to see it it’s ok to cancel a paid service and that it will not delete or barr Access to any of my previously owned content”

Does something like this ever occur to you? Cause it sure seems like a breach of confidentiality and trust.

As for your solution, i couldn’t make my music reappear on my iPhone either. And I am definitely not about to subscribed to yet another paid service so that Apple can delete some other content of mine in the future, while I am paying.

Apr 13, 2018 1:40 AM in response to Attila K

Just restart your computer ones your music will be back and i agree with you@Jameson

Thanks for your response. I followed the steps you mentioned and, once I replaced the library file, my original songs seemed to reappear. Glad as I was, I thought it had solved my problem. But NO, none of the songs will play and an orange exclamation point appears in the upper right corner of my itunes app telling me "We couldn't make you iCloud Music Library available. Click retry". Did I click retry? YES, a bunch of times, every time typing in my itunes password, but it does NOT work.

All my songs are greyed out, none of the will play and this thing is just a big load of crap. On each song there's the icon showing it's in icloud, not in local library, but it will not download any of them.

Apr 13, 2018 6:19 AM in response to turingtest2

And what I am saying is I already had my iCloud music library active BEFORE i subscribed to Apple Music, it worked just fine, never had any issues with it UNTIL I decided to cancel my Apple Music subscription, which subsequently deleted all of my music. While I was able to recover the song I had bought from iTunes before my Apple Music subscription, everything else is lost.

Someone else suggested I should subscribe to iTunes Match. That service is apparently not available in Romania, so I can;t even do that. Nevertheless, there is absolutely no guarantee that subscribing to iTunes Match would bring back my media.

What I am saying is this: I had a service running (iCloud music library). I then subscribed to another service, Apple Music. For more than a year, everything was OK. I then decided to cancel my Apple Music subscription and everything went south, my own personal content begin deleted without my knowledge or consent. This is wrong on so many levels!!

What you said about keeping all the eggs in the same basket basically says that I should not only have a Mac and an iPhone, but also a Windows computer and an Android phone, all synced with one another, just in case Apple, Microsoft or Google decide to delete any of MY content from any of MY devices. So, while I do appreciate your response and you trying to help me, your sarcasm is far from welcome.

Best regards,

Attila

I cancelled my Apple Music, now ALL my music is deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.