Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete artwork in iTunes

I wanted to get rid of all the artwork in my playlists - I'm buying and collecting music to listen to, no to gape at any artwork - but there seems to be no single command to delete any album artwork in a single sweep. Moreover, I'm getting the same artwork in my iPod Touch, taking up space

On the other hand I'm not looking forward to -J through a couple of thousand playlists to remove artwork. Is there another solution to this problem? Via Terminal or so?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mac Pro,

Posted on Apr 12, 2018 3:50 AM

6 replies

Apr 13, 2018 3:39 AM in response to centerice

I totally missed that one 😟 Moreover, I've not thought it through. What I should have writte was that I wanted to get rid of the space the artwork takes. Not on a computer - a simple switch from viewing as playlist to viewing as songs takes care of that - but on an iTouch. I couldn't find a single (and simple) preference panel that would just kill off the art, and leave me with a real list view. I've tried it with a couple of playlists in which I deleted any art, but then, when downloading these to my iTouch , I was still stuck with a generic icon.

Anyhow, it's a problem I can live with. Thanks anyway for your tip/

Apr 13, 2018 4:23 AM in response to johan-martijn

If you're trying to remove the area on the iPod's display taken up by the artwork, you can't. As you have found, if you do manage to delete the pictures themselves, you're simply left with the generic icon, which is hardly attractive, especially on the Now Playing screen, which has a large artwork display area.

If your concern is the storage space used on the iPod for the artwork, I'm not convinced that you will gain much "space" by deleting those pictures. If storage on your iPod is at a premium (i.e. you have more songs in your Library than you can fit on your iPod), then there is possibly a better solution for managing that, by the use of Smart Playlists to automatically remove and add songs to the iPod (according to rules you set).

As you have found, in your iTunes Library, the best method of displaying the songs in a list and without artwork is to use the View/View As/Songs option.

How to delete artwork in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.