Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Siera 10.13.3 upgrade failing

I am running High Siera 10.13.3 on a MacBook Pro but have not been able to upgrade to 10.13.4 because the required automatic shutdown fails to complete. Even with all applications and windows closed before I initiate the upgrade all I get is a black screen but the mouse pointer is still active and the computer doesn't restart. Eventually I have to power off to shutdown. This also happens in Safe Mode.

Do you have any suggestions, or any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2018 2:05 AM

1. Shut the computer down by holding the power button for 10 seconds

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

4. After a moment, you should see the spinning beach ball

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that, it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently, it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

My Mac only runs properly in Safe mode

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up

What to do when a macOS update goes wrong

A Mac Troubleshooting Summary

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2018 2:05 AM in response to Harryg123

1. Shut the computer down by holding the power button for 10 seconds

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

4. After a moment, you should see the spinning beach ball

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that, it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently, it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

My Mac only runs properly in Safe mode

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up

What to do when a macOS update goes wrong

A Mac Troubleshooting Summary

Apr 17, 2018 2:05 AM in response to Harryg123

Hi ​Harryg123,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're trying to update to macOS 10.13.4, but when you sttempt to install the restart process never completes and you have to manually shut down the Mac. I also see you've tried to install the update using safe mode with the same results. I know how important it is to keep your Mac up-to-date; I'd like to help. First, I always recommend ensuring you have a recent backup: How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

Next, restart your Mac and use the key combination and steps below to upgrade macOS High Sierra:
Option-Command-R Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.**
  1. Release the keys when you see the Apple logo or a spinning globe.
  2. When you see the macOS Utilities window, continue to the next section to determine whether to erase your startup disk or begin installing macOS.

User uploaded file

How to reinstall macOS

Let me know if you're successful.

Best Regards.

High Siera 10.13.3 upgrade failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.