Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloaded High Sierra 10.13.6 update, clicked Restart NOW, but the restart never completes. I've waited overnight, with the Macbook Air plugged in, and the only solution is to hold down the power button to force a shutdown. HELP

My mac freezes (black screen with cursor arrow) when I try to restart to install the 10.13.6 upgrade I've downloaded from the App store.

My only recourse is to eventually force a shut down by holding the power button down. When I do then restart, the upgrade is not installed.

Is this common? Is there a solution?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 7:32 AM

Try restarting in Safe Mode and then installing.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 20, 2018 9:33 PM in response to charlesfromseneca falls

something like that happened to me, but I think the install stopped halfway when I restarted my MacBook Air. Since then it often won't wake from sleep. I have started up in safe mode, which didn't help.

Not always, but I can tell the computer's on but the login screen won't come up no matter which key or key combo I try. Eventually I have to manually shut down and restart. Sometimes that works and sometimes I have to do it twice.

WHat is going on?

downloaded High Sierra 10.13.6 update, clicked Restart NOW, but the restart never completes. I've waited overnight, with the Macbook Air plugged in, and the only solution is to hold down the power button to force a shutdown. HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.