Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone scam

I've been getting a call on my landline, not my iPhone, but Caller ID says it is from APPLECARE. A recorded voice says my Apple ID has been compromised and not to make any purchases with my ID until I have talked to the Apple technician. Then I'm given the phone number, 800-275-2273, and asked to call. I called, already thinking it was a scam. A man answered and asked me for my email address. So I hung up.

Phone scam

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 5:25 PM

Getting this too. The number you provide is a legit AppleCare phone number -- see Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple. The message that I get says to press 1 to speak to a technician (basically a robocall setting the bait, and pressing 1 is taking it). If you directly called (800) APL–CARE (which is 800–275–2273), then you were probably talking to a real Apple tech.

If your number is on the US Do Not Call list, I would file a complaint and make it clear that scammers are spoofing AppleCare (though I'm not sure how they can do anything without the actual source of the call). It's insidious.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2018 5:25 PM in response to breeny122

Getting this too. The number you provide is a legit AppleCare phone number -- see Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple. The message that I get says to press 1 to speak to a technician (basically a robocall setting the bait, and pressing 1 is taking it). If you directly called (800) APL–CARE (which is 800–275–2273), then you were probably talking to a real Apple tech.

If your number is on the US Do Not Call list, I would file a complaint and make it clear that scammers are spoofing AppleCare (though I'm not sure how they can do anything without the actual source of the call). It's insidious.

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2018 6:23 AM in response to breeny122

Hi!

After checking this number it is listed as Applecare's number in the US.

If you are indeed dialling this number as you say, you are calling AppleCare...

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

If you are called and the person says they are calling you from 800-275-2273 then its probably a scam.

Either way, please do not provide any sensitive data like passwords, credit card numbers etc - to any caller for that matter-

Take care

Basil

Phone scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.