Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stop iPhone from creating albums?

I do not want albums of selfies, people, etc. But if I delete the pictures from those albums, two bad things happens. First, iPhone tells me the photo will be deleted everywhere. Huh? Why can't it stay on Camera Roll? I assume if it's been downloaded it won't be deleted from my laptop, but I haven't actually done the experiment. Second, the next time I look at my photographs, those albums have been repopulated with photos. What I want is to prevent any automatic creation of albums. I can create all the albums I need! Is there any way to turn off automatic album creation for good and all?

iPhone SE, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2018 12:26 AM

You cannot delete the albums, that Photos is creating for you. They will appear automatically, if one of the photos in your library is matching the rules for this album. To prevent the People album from showing, you would have to delete all photos showing people or retouch the people out of the photo.To remove the Selfie album, you would have to delete all photos taken with the front camera. You can hide photos that you do not want to show in any album. https://help.apple.com/iphone/11/#/iphf14943e

Album are not storing albums, so the photos in the albums are no duplicates. Photos is storing a photo only once, but it can be used in many albums. if you delete a photo in Photos, it will be deleted from the photo library everywhere, not just from the album, where you are viewing it.

Photos has two kinds of albums:

• Predefined albums, like Selfies, Panoramic, Live Photos, etc. These albums are smart albums, that are collecting all photos, that match a certain condition. Fir example, the Selfie album is showing all photos that have been taken with a front camera. The Panoramic album is collecting all photos with an extreme aspect ratio. The predefined albums are automatically created, because the iPhone has no support for custom smart albums created by the user. without these albums there would not be any way to search for front camera photos or panoramic photos. You cannot remove photos from smart albums, because they will automatically show all photos in the library matching the rules of the smart album. OS photos can only be removed by deleting them from the library.
  • User defined custom albums: If you create a custom album by selecting photos and adding them to an album you created, you can remove the photos again from the album, because the custom albums are not searching for the photos automatically.

On a Mac you can hide the predefined albums from the sidebar. Perhaps Apple will add this feature one day on the iPhone as well, if enough users request it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2018 12:26 AM in response to AppleMakesLemons

You cannot delete the albums, that Photos is creating for you. They will appear automatically, if one of the photos in your library is matching the rules for this album. To prevent the People album from showing, you would have to delete all photos showing people or retouch the people out of the photo.To remove the Selfie album, you would have to delete all photos taken with the front camera. You can hide photos that you do not want to show in any album. https://help.apple.com/iphone/11/#/iphf14943e

Album are not storing albums, so the photos in the albums are no duplicates. Photos is storing a photo only once, but it can be used in many albums. if you delete a photo in Photos, it will be deleted from the photo library everywhere, not just from the album, where you are viewing it.

Photos has two kinds of albums:

• Predefined albums, like Selfies, Panoramic, Live Photos, etc. These albums are smart albums, that are collecting all photos, that match a certain condition. Fir example, the Selfie album is showing all photos that have been taken with a front camera. The Panoramic album is collecting all photos with an extreme aspect ratio. The predefined albums are automatically created, because the iPhone has no support for custom smart albums created by the user. without these albums there would not be any way to search for front camera photos or panoramic photos. You cannot remove photos from smart albums, because they will automatically show all photos in the library matching the rules of the smart album. OS photos can only be removed by deleting them from the library.
  • User defined custom albums: If you create a custom album by selecting photos and adding them to an album you created, you can remove the photos again from the album, because the custom albums are not searching for the photos automatically.

On a Mac you can hide the predefined albums from the sidebar. Perhaps Apple will add this feature one day on the iPhone as well, if enough users request it.

Apr 14, 2018 10:41 AM in response to léonie

Thanks. Alas, Leonie, it is helpful of you to confirm my worst fears, but what Apple has done is the opposite of helpful. This convinces me is that my next phone must NOT be from Apple. As mentioned, I want the Camera Roll to be complete. If I want separate albums, I am capable of making them. I want NO automatic other albums. "Hiding" doesn't help unless there's a way to move those photos back to the Camera Roll. From what you say, and what I've looked for, once Apple's software decrees that a photo belongs in an Apple-desired, the only way to get it back in Camera Roll is to download all the albums and move photos manually on my [non-Apple] laptop. Your software designers manifest a remarkable lack of thought or concern for users' preferences by imposing automatic album creation with a penalty for not wanting it (deleting photos entirely from phone without a way to move them out of the Apple-Album and back to Camera Roll) and no way to turn off album creation. The phrase 'arrogant ignorance' comes to mind, but maybe it is worse than that: an automatic 'Selfies' album makes it easier and more compact for Apple to add to their Big Data collection everyone's faces and the faces of their friends and family. Let me know if I've got that wrong. Thanks again.

May 29, 2018 4:17 AM in response to AppleMakesLemons

Have to agree with the above. I want to take photos and delete the ones I don't need and organise them myself in a sensible way. I really do not need dozens of albums created every time I walk into a new area of town. I don't even use iCloud and take my photos off the phone to a hard drive for my own controlled storage. This management of my own mind is actually driving me nuts. Apple should provide a chouice to totally disable albums if I so wish. That is it, really.

Jul 8, 2018 2:41 PM in response to AppleMakesLemons

Same ,Ive posted a couple of times about this because it drives me nuts not being able to move photos out of camera roll and in to an album like you can on an android device. The whole auto album creation for every event in life is just an irritation and the fact that created albums are basically shortcuts to the pictures in your camera roll is so lame. I think we've all paid enough money for the device to be able to arrange our pictures as we see fit.

Hoping theres a fix to this soon, only thing I've found after reading years old forum posts is an app called Utiful, but im a bit reluctant to to have another app doing the job Photos should allow you to do anyway.

Who knows 😕😐

Can I stop iPhone from creating albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.