Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i identify duplicates in Photos?

Does Photos have the ability to identify duplicate photographs?

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2018 9:51 AM

These applications will identify and help remove duplicate photos from a Photos Library:

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others like the capability to merge Photos libraries or copy photos along with their metadata between libraries.

PhotoSweeper compares bitmaps and/or histograms so it can detect duplicate images even if they have different sizes, file names, sizes and capture dates.

These are the only apps that provided demo versions which could be tested on a test Photos library.

I also use PowerPhotos and PhotoSweeper.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2018 9:51 AM in response to TiMTiNY

These applications will identify and help remove duplicate photos from a Photos Library:

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others like the capability to merge Photos libraries or copy photos along with their metadata between libraries.

PhotoSweeper compares bitmaps and/or histograms so it can detect duplicate images even if they have different sizes, file names, sizes and capture dates.

These are the only apps that provided demo versions which could be tested on a test Photos library.

I also use PowerPhotos and PhotoSweeper.

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2018 11:36 PM in response to TiMTiNY

Yes and no. Photos is checking for duplicates when you import photos and videos and will warn you, when you try to import the same item more than once. So you can avoid to import the same item twice. But it will not recognize duplicates if you convert the file to a different format or import an edited version, only identical files will be recognized.

There is no tool in Photos to scan for duplicates that already have been imported. You will have to search for them on your own or use a third party duplicate finder.

But not all duplicate finders are safe to use, see: Using third-party apps to remove duplicate photos might damage your Photos for macOS library - Apple Support

Do not use any duplicate finder, that will delete photos from the Photos library directly. Use only tools, that collet the items in an album, so you can delete them using Photos.

I am using Photo Sweeper or PowerPhotos.

how can i identify duplicates in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.