Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

People will finish updating when Photos is in the background

For some reason Photos never finishes updating people.

For the past few months I receive this message at the bottom of the Photos when looking at People.

'People will finish updating when Photos is in the background'

So far I have tried...

1. Repair Photos Library

2. Stopped backing up to iCloud

3. Stopped all devices backing up to iCloud

4. Deleted all 'People' that Photos what still scanning

My MacBook Pro has been left on, connected to power and Harddrive & Screen are set to sleep 'Never'

I have left Photos running in the background for weeks, I have then closed Photos and left the mac running for week.

Still the same issue.... 'People will finish updating when Photos is in the background'

Can anyone HELP ???

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Apr 15, 2018 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 12:03 PM

@DGWALLY did you find a resolution yet? I, too am seeing this odd message about People updating. I did find this related post but haven't tried it yet.

updating people... people will finish updating when photos is in the background.

2 replies

Apr 16, 2018 10:10 AM in response to DGWally

4. Deleted all 'People' that Photos what still scanning

You would have to delete all albums of all people to discard the People database and start over.

Are you seeing this message only on some albums? That is normal. I am seeing this message for all people albums, where there is only one face in my Photos Library and I added this face manually. To remove this message I have to add at least one face to the album, where Photos could recognize a a face. If there is no face of the person in the library that Photos can recognize as a face, this message will never go away.

For example - there is no other face of Monkey in my library, so the album is stuck at this message, because Photos is expecting more than one photo.

User uploaded file

But most other albums are working well.

People will finish updating when Photos is in the background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.