Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make a copy of my iPhoto library for a friend without moving the entire library to an external hard drive?

I want the iPhoto library to stay where it is; I just want to store copies of my photos on an external hard drive so that I can give that hard drive (and the photos) to a friend. Is that possible?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2018 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 9:35 AM

Export the selected photos from iPhoto to a folder on the hard drive.

• Select the photos in iPhoto.
  • Then use the command "File > Export ".
  • In the Export dialog select the format and the quality to give you a high quality and click "Export".
  • Create one folder on the external drive and select this folder as the destination for the export.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2018 9:35 AM in response to darrenfromvt

Export the selected photos from iPhoto to a folder on the hard drive.

• Select the photos in iPhoto.
  • Then use the command "File > Export ".
  • In the Export dialog select the format and the quality to give you a high quality and click "Export".
  • Create one folder on the external drive and select this folder as the destination for the export.

User uploaded file

Apr 23, 2018 9:35 AM in response to darrenfromvt

1. Copying doesn't move, it makes a copy. So dragging the library to an external will make a copy on the external, and your original will remain where it is.

2. Assuming you only want to give a copy of the photographs rather than the whole library, you can export the images from iPhoto to the external:

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

How can I make a copy of my iPhoto library for a friend without moving the entire library to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.