Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing JUST my "recently added" songs

Hi there!

Can someone help? I can't seem to play JUST my "recently added" songs--it used to show up as a "playlist," like "25 top most played" or "recently played" songs but that option seems to have disappeared. I don't really want to create my own playlist where I have to keep adding the songs--it used to do it automatically and then as I added new songs, it would drop off the older songs. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks!!

Posted on Apr 16, 2018 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2018 1:15 PM

All is not lost!

this is the dilemma with a "smart playlist"---there is no option for 'recently added' songs. I would have to change the parameters for this playlist every single time I added new songs.

No, that's not correct.

You can create a Smart Playlist that automatically lists recently added songs just like the old method. Yes, you really really can. Read on to understand what has happened and how to fix it.

If you want to understand what has happened, and the new issue that it limits its usefulness, read the section headed What Has Changed. If not and you want to cut to the chase, read the section headed The Solution. Guess what it does (no prizes... it offers a solution). 😉

What Has Changed:

The original Recently Added Playlist (which was located under the All Playlists heading) has been redesigned and is now shown at the top of the iTunes side bar, under Library:

User uploaded file

However, the newer version now lists everything in reverse date order - and I mean everything, all the way back to my first iTunes addition, which I would not describe as "recently added".

This shows up on an iPod Touch (and I therefore assume, on an iPhone as well), as a completely separate section underneath the Library. (Previously, it was listed in Music/Library/Playlists.) Look at the screenshot below. You may not have all the options shown here, but drag the screen upwards to reveal the new Recently Added, below Compilations:

User uploaded file

and once dragged upwards:

User uploaded file

However:

this new Recently Added section also lists new and modified Playlists, which clutters up the list of recently added songs and I suspect you won't like (it's perfectly okay if you do). So, create your own Smart Playlist - see next heading.

------------------------------------

The Solution:

• In your iTunes Library, click on File/New/Smart Playlist (in Windows, CTRL+ALT+N)
  • You will see the following panel:

User uploaded file

• Change the drop down from Artist to Date Added - and then
  • Change the is to is in the last:

User uploaded file

• Now change the empty box to your preferred time and the days to weeks
  • The screen now looks like this:

User uploaded file

• The Playlist will contain all songs added to your iTunes Library in the last three weeks (or whatever time frame you specify. Once a song has been in your Library for longer than three weeks, it is dropped from the Recently Added Playlist)
  • Click on OK.
  • You can rename the Playlist now, by double-clicking on the Playlist name and over typing the text (shown in blue, below)

User uploaded file

• Sync the Playlist to your iPhone/iPod
  • It appears on the device, under the Playlists heading
  • It automatically updates, You do not need to change anything in the Playlist, it's automatic
  • Sync the phone to its iTunes Library for the updated Playlist to be added to the phone
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2018 1:15 PM in response to Shannonmari65

All is not lost!

this is the dilemma with a "smart playlist"---there is no option for 'recently added' songs. I would have to change the parameters for this playlist every single time I added new songs.

No, that's not correct.

You can create a Smart Playlist that automatically lists recently added songs just like the old method. Yes, you really really can. Read on to understand what has happened and how to fix it.

If you want to understand what has happened, and the new issue that it limits its usefulness, read the section headed What Has Changed. If not and you want to cut to the chase, read the section headed The Solution. Guess what it does (no prizes... it offers a solution). 😉

What Has Changed:

The original Recently Added Playlist (which was located under the All Playlists heading) has been redesigned and is now shown at the top of the iTunes side bar, under Library:

User uploaded file

However, the newer version now lists everything in reverse date order - and I mean everything, all the way back to my first iTunes addition, which I would not describe as "recently added".

This shows up on an iPod Touch (and I therefore assume, on an iPhone as well), as a completely separate section underneath the Library. (Previously, it was listed in Music/Library/Playlists.) Look at the screenshot below. You may not have all the options shown here, but drag the screen upwards to reveal the new Recently Added, below Compilations:

User uploaded file

and once dragged upwards:

User uploaded file

However:

this new Recently Added section also lists new and modified Playlists, which clutters up the list of recently added songs and I suspect you won't like (it's perfectly okay if you do). So, create your own Smart Playlist - see next heading.

The Solution:

• In your iTunes Library, click on File/New/Smart Playlist (in Windows, CTRL+ALT+N)
  • You will see the following panel:

User uploaded file

• Change the drop down from Artist to Date Added - and then
  • Change the is to is in the last:

User uploaded file

• Now change the empty box to your preferred time and the days to weeks
  • The screen now looks like this:

User uploaded file

• The Playlist will contain all songs added to your iTunes Library in the last three weeks (or whatever time frame you specify. Once a song has been in your Library for longer than three weeks, it is dropped from the Recently Added Playlist)
  • Click on OK.
  • You can rename the Playlist now, by double-clicking on the Playlist name and over typing the text (shown in blue, below)

User uploaded file

• Sync the Playlist to your iPhone/iPod
  • It appears on the device, under the Playlists heading
  • It automatically updates, You do not need to change anything in the Playlist, it's automatic
  • Sync the phone to its iTunes Library for the updated Playlist to be added to the phone

Apr 16, 2018 7:14 AM in response to anonyme4321

Ok, I see that about my iPhone but this is the dilemma with a "smart playlist"---there is no option for 'recently added' songs. I would have to change the parameters for this playlist every single time I added new songs. I can only add from things like the date added, number of plays, artist and so forth. For me, I don't add just any one artist or album. I usually add by genre or whatever it is I'm adding... for example, I recently added stuff from the 80s, some country, some folk stuff and some classic rock... see what I mean??
It used to be really easy when the "recently added" was an *actual* playlist, so thanks for the help but well, this isn't helping or I'm simply not explaining clearly what I'm trying to do. 🙂

Playing JUST my "recently added" songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.