Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you merge libraries?

I am trying to consolidate multiple libraries in the new IMOVIE and it seems the best way to do it is just drag events from one libary to another (it seems only to copy them not move them). Is there a better way to do it? Also what is strange is the library I dragged the events from (#1) is much larger on my external hard drive then the one I dragged it to (#2). I would think library #2 would end up being bigger because has all of the events now.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2018 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2018 7:51 AM

Hi, James,

Here's a link to the Help menu section that explains in detail how to work with multiple libraries -- transferring events and projects and so forth.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

For safety it is best first to copy rather than transfer the projects from Library 1 to Library 2, and then you can delete Library 1 once you have verified that the projects are working in Library 2. The external drive needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as you probably know. Reformatting erases the data on the drive so if you reformat you need to back up the drive first, or remove any data from it that you want to keep.

I can't answer the library size question without experimenting a bit with your computer, which is not possible through an internet forum.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2018 7:51 AM in response to James Fernald

Hi, James,

Here's a link to the Help menu section that explains in detail how to work with multiple libraries -- transferring events and projects and so forth.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

For safety it is best first to copy rather than transfer the projects from Library 1 to Library 2, and then you can delete Library 1 once you have verified that the projects are working in Library 2. The external drive needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as you probably know. Reformatting erases the data on the drive so if you reformat you need to back up the drive first, or remove any data from it that you want to keep.

I can't answer the library size question without experimenting a bit with your computer, which is not possible through an internet forum.

-- Rich

How do you merge libraries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.