Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my imac does not start up after failed win7 install

I tried to install Win7 on my MBP2010, (High Sierra, APFS); I have the disk, made a bootable .iso and all that.

Installing windows went on untill the installer said "need an NTFS partition", and evidently Bootcamp had partitioned the mac but somehow the format was wrong.

Checking all the red stop boxes in the pop-up windows. It said it would restart.

It did but it started to boot the windows installer again.

I ejected the disk, removed the external media (USB).

Now it still does not open MacOS - I get a black sreen and the remark:

"no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

So it seems the MBP is in limbo. Neither Macos nor Win.

How can I retart in Macos (pressing CMD/option does not help.)

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Apr 17, 2018 6:42 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Apr 18, 2018 11:48 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks a lot.

This solved it. The boot sound is heard

On Mac computers that play a startup sound, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.

and I held it about four times, but as soon as I let loose the mac screen with its logo started.

I will totally stop fiddling with win7 on this old 2010 machine (I also had trouble making the bootable iso disk with 'bootcamp' for this machine on it.)

I will install Win10 on my new iMac - maybe can do that with assistance, I'm in the first 90 days.

Apr 19, 2018 2:29 PM in response to alberti-nl

alberti-nl wrote:

I do have the DVD (but it is the OEM edition ..) and this did not work under HS.

OEM Disks do not work, but you can directly download W7 ISO from Microsoft.

alberti-nl wrote:

I did have it running before on a 2010 iMac by the way so the DVD was at one time working. When I made the .CDR=.ISO file the key was accepted.

The DVD should still work, if it was burned correctly.

alberti-nl wrote:

But i'll leave this project.

Post back, if you decide to pursue this further.

my imac does not start up after failed win7 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.