Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Eliminate Red Eye in photos of dogs

I would appreciate tips on removing ‘red eye’ from my dog’s photos. The Photos Red Eye removal tool only works on humans and not on dogs with the bright white, green or golden pupils reflected. And everyone who takes photos of their dogs have experienced the ‘devil dog’ eyes at some point. I don’t need professional level correction, just for my own home snapshots of my dog.

So far my best success has been to Open the photo. Zoom in. Edit > Retouch. Size the circle tool to just larger than the bright, white pupil of the eye. Select the paintbrush and select a black part of the nose for the black color I need. Then click in the devil eye multiple times being careful to leave a little bit of the white.

Do you have an alternative method? Or other software that does the trick? I can muddle through with my method, but hope there is something better.

Using Photos 3.0 with MacOS 10.13.4 (not using iCloud). Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), not using iCloud

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 10:54 PM

I do not know a Photo Editing extension, that does a specific Red Eye correction for animal eyes.

In Photos 3.0, you can try to change the color of the eyes somewhat using the Selective Color tool in the adjustment panel.

For example, if the eyes of the dog are a bright emerald green, like this:

User uploaded file

Click the eye dropper in the Selective color tool and sample the emerald color of the eye.

Then adjust the Range slider, so all of the eyes is selected.

Noe try to turn the green to a darker color by reducing the saturation and the brightness and shift the Hue slider to a more natural color.

It will not be perfect, but you can make the eyes less bright and paler.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2018 10:54 PM in response to Judy Sch

I do not know a Photo Editing extension, that does a specific Red Eye correction for animal eyes.

In Photos 3.0, you can try to change the color of the eyes somewhat using the Selective Color tool in the adjustment panel.

For example, if the eyes of the dog are a bright emerald green, like this:

User uploaded file

Click the eye dropper in the Selective color tool and sample the emerald color of the eye.

Then adjust the Range slider, so all of the eyes is selected.

Noe try to turn the green to a darker color by reducing the saturation and the brightness and shift the Hue slider to a more natural color.

It will not be perfect, but you can make the eyes less bright and paler.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Eliminate Red Eye in photos of dogs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.