Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -42110 when attempting to purchase music

I'm in desperate need of help please! When attempting to purchase music, I continually receive the following message: "There was a temporary problem completing your request. An unknown error occurred (-42110). Try again later." Well, later never works. I typically listen to iMusic, but purchased an iPod shuffle to use when swimming. Apparently only purchased music may be transferred to shuffle (that's what I understand), but I cannot purchase music. Ahh! Any help out there? Thanks.

iPod shuffle, null

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 4:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 5:35 AM

Hi altsherma!

I understand that you're seeing an error when trying to purchase music from the iTunes Store, and I'm happy to help. Please try the relevant instructions below:

Remove the SC Info folder

To work properly, iTunes needs the SC Info folder on your computer. You can authorize your computer to play your purchases if you remove the folder. Then, let iTunes recreate it.

Remove the SC Info folder in macOS High Sierra or earlier

1. Quit iTunes and any other open applications until only Finder is open.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. In the window, enter
    /Users/Shared/SC Info
    , then click Go. If you see a message that says "The folder can't be found," follow these steps to create
    /Users/Shared/
    or apply correct permissions to the folder.
  4. If Finder isn't already set to column view, set it. From the menu bar at the top of your screen, choose View > as Columns.
  5. Find the SC Info folder. Click and hold it, and drag it to the trash.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Open iTunes.
  8. Try to authorize your computer again. If you have multiple Apple IDs, authorize your computer for each Apple ID.

Remove the SC Info folder in Windows

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Press the Windows key on your keyboard. If your keyboard doesn't have a Windows key, press the Control (Ctrl) and Escape (Esc) keys on your keyboard.
  3. Click on the magnifying icon or search field. In the search field, enter
    %ProgramData%
    , then press Return.
  4. Show hidden files:
    Windows 10: Click View, then select "Hidden items."
    Windows 8: Click View, then click Options. On the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
    Windows 7: Click Organize, then click "Folder and search options." On the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
  5. Open the Apple Computer folder, then open the iTunes folder.
  6. Right-click the SC Info folder and choose Delete from the pop-up menu.
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Open iTunes.
  9. Try to authorize your computer again. If you have multiple Apple IDs, authorize your computer for each Apple ID.
If iTunes prompts you to authorize your computer when you try to play iTunes Store purchases

Cheers!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2018 5:35 AM in response to altsherma

Hi altsherma!

I understand that you're seeing an error when trying to purchase music from the iTunes Store, and I'm happy to help. Please try the relevant instructions below:

Remove the SC Info folder

To work properly, iTunes needs the SC Info folder on your computer. You can authorize your computer to play your purchases if you remove the folder. Then, let iTunes recreate it.

Remove the SC Info folder in macOS High Sierra or earlier

1. Quit iTunes and any other open applications until only Finder is open.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. In the window, enter
    /Users/Shared/SC Info
    , then click Go. If you see a message that says "The folder can't be found," follow these steps to create
    /Users/Shared/
    or apply correct permissions to the folder.
  4. If Finder isn't already set to column view, set it. From the menu bar at the top of your screen, choose View > as Columns.
  5. Find the SC Info folder. Click and hold it, and drag it to the trash.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Open iTunes.
  8. Try to authorize your computer again. If you have multiple Apple IDs, authorize your computer for each Apple ID.

Remove the SC Info folder in Windows

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Press the Windows key on your keyboard. If your keyboard doesn't have a Windows key, press the Control (Ctrl) and Escape (Esc) keys on your keyboard.
  3. Click on the magnifying icon or search field. In the search field, enter
    %ProgramData%
    , then press Return.
  4. Show hidden files:
    Windows 10: Click View, then select "Hidden items."
    Windows 8: Click View, then click Options. On the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
    Windows 7: Click Organize, then click "Folder and search options." On the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."
  5. Open the Apple Computer folder, then open the iTunes folder.
  6. Right-click the SC Info folder and choose Delete from the pop-up menu.
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Open iTunes.
  9. Try to authorize your computer again. If you have multiple Apple IDs, authorize your computer for each Apple ID.
If iTunes prompts you to authorize your computer when you try to play iTunes Store purchases

Cheers!

Error -42110 when attempting to purchase music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.