Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 5,1 Quicktime Player 4K Stutter

I may cry the day the'ol Mac Pro truly becomes obsolete. It's been such a great machine!

Purchasing a Phantom 4 Pro drone has lead me into the world of 4K. When exporting a 4K project from Final Cut Pro X 10.4 the playback stutters in Quicktime Player. I thought my Mac hardware was prepared for handling 4K, but maybe not?

Someone on this forum suggested an alternative playback app called IINA, which I tried, and it played the stuttering footage flawlessly. I'm grateful for the tip but still wondering why Quicktime won't play it nicely? Anyone happen to know? I also tried playing the stuttering file on my Early 2013 MacBook Pro using Quicktime Player (not IINA) and it played fine?

• Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010

• OS X 10.13.4

• Final Cut Pro X 10.4

• CPU Intel Xeon X5650 2 x 2.66 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon

• GPU AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 (Mac Edition)

• Memory 56GB 1333 MHz DDR3

• Boot Storage 120GB SSD (NO video project files stored here)

• Scratch Storage WD Black 6TB - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch (video project files stored here)

• display 1 > NEC Multisync PA241W

• display 2 > Dell 2715Q

Thanks... and PS: I attempted to upload an example clip but the video-uploading icon was grayed-out.

Mac Pro, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 5:35 PM

Similar questions

15 replies

Apr 21, 2018 8:51 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the Blackmagic app suggestion, Grant Bennet-Alder.

I ran a Blackmagic 4K test during an export from Final Cut Pro X:

User uploaded file

The 3480x2160 format I'm working with doesn't even appear on the testing list? Uhhh-Ohhh!

I purchased these Western Digital Black WD6002FZWX drives recently because they were advertised to be designed for creative folks working with video and music. I'm not understanding where the bottleneck is? Could it be that...

1) Blackmagic isn't reporting accurately?

2) the drives truly are too slow for 4K footage?

3) the drives are fast enough, but the Mac Pro isn't fast enough to push the drives to their potential?

Anyone happen to know what the problem is?

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2018 12:06 PM in response to alabastertoad

Thanks again, Grant Bennet-Alder and alabastertoad.

"2160p is 3840x2160"... got it. Glad to hear the Blackmagic test results are based on uncompressed files. Makes sense, and gives me a little data-rate breathing room since my issue is centered around playback of compressed files.

I ran Blackmagic again, this time with all apps closed, and using the 5GB default setting. Little better READ speeds this time. If anyone has any reactions to this latest test result, I'm all ears:

User uploaded file

Apr 21, 2018 12:21 PM in response to wallybarthman

That's right, wallybarthman. And, that one specific file... when exported a second time played fine in Quicktime Player.

So, I think my initial question is pretty much answered... and is morphing into a new question... "is there anything I can do in a cost-effective way to speed-up my Mac Pro so it will effortlessly chew through anything 4K I throw at it?" I'm wondering about the use of my vacant PCI slots, for example? Don't know much about what's available.

I should probably close this thread but don't see a button for doing so?

Apr 21, 2018 12:43 AM in response to bytes n' bits

To my knowledge, Quicktime relies heavily on hardware based encoding/decoding. This means using Intel Quick Sync for H.264, which saves battery life and accelerates decoding on compatible hardware. Since it's a feature baked into the processor, there's no way to add that to your CPU.

This is not to say that your Mac doesn't have the bones to decode H.264 4K. It just needs to run the whole thing through the CPU without acceleration. Hence, you probably won't get flawless performance in an application like quicktime which is so dependent on hardware decoding. Useful for battery life, yes. Not useful for people with older, but still powerful Mac Pro's.

In IINA, hardware acceleration is optional. So it runs playback through software instead, which is no problem for your beast of a CPU.

Hope this helps!

Apr 21, 2018 9:13 AM in response to bytes n' bits

That display is telling you that drive is sometimes not fast enough to read or write 2160p at 50 frames a second. You are using 3480p, so the drive may indeed be a limiting factor for full-speed playback.

I think the test is intended to run by itself, not competing against your editing. it simulates an editing load all by itself.

Apr 21, 2018 11:21 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

2160p is 3840x2160. The "p" refers to the vertical resolution of the frame.

Blackmagic's test is simulating ProRes, Cinema DNG RAW and 10-bit YUV video, each of which has relatively little to no compression. Therefore, the data rates required for each are much higher than H.264, a highly compressed format, which bytes n' bits is trying to play. Editing 4k in those formats could well saturate the hard drive config on his system, but the exported H.264 4K shouldn't be bottlenecked by disk I/O.

Apr 21, 2018 12:26 PM in response to bytes n' bits

A RAID would serve you well. I have four Toshiba 2TB drives, which gets me more than 500MB/s in blackmagic's speed test. That's enough for 4K editing, even with multiple streams if it's compressed.

Your graphics card is probably fine, but if you wanted to upgrade, a RX580 would probably be great for final cut due to it's strong openCL performance.

Apr 21, 2018 1:33 PM in response to alabastertoad

Do you have an older Mac Pro with 4 drive bays like mine, alabastertoad?

What additional components would I need to set up a RAID, if any?

Could I setup a RAID using just 2 of the 4 drives in my Mac Pro?

Do you happen to know of a good online resource where I can learn more about RAID setups for an older Mac Pro like mine?

What RAID level are you running and why did you select it?

Apr 21, 2018 1:44 PM in response to bytes n' bits

I have a 2009 (4,1) Mac Pro which I upgraded to run 5,1 firmware. Depending on the kind of raid you want to set up, you won't need any additional components other than the obvious additional hard drives.

My setup is a little unusual. I run a 2TB RAID 0 using the first 500GB of space on my four 2TB drives, as the first part of a hard drive is always faster than the space at the end, which is used only when the drive is near full. I then use the remaining 1.5TB of each drive to create a 4.5TB RAID 5. The reason I do this split setup is because RAID 0 is the fastest, but has no redundancy (one drive fails and you lose all your data), whereas RAID 5 is safe against a single drive failure but definitely isn't as fast. Read/write speeds are around 500MB/s for the RAID 0, and around 300MB/s for the RAID 5; you'd probably see better numbers on both because your WD black drives are much faster than my Toshiba P300 drives. So what I do is use the fast volume for video editing, then backup to the safety of my RAID 5 on off hours using Carbon Copy Cloner. I also store other stuff like photo libraries and archival stuff on the 5 since I don't need blazing fast read/writes to access them.

If you wanted to skip this kind of complicated setup, a RAID 0 with a backup drive would probably work pretty well for you. RAID 5 isn't possible anyway, using Disk Utility. You'd need a copy of SoftRAID. Really great software, but probably overkill for a first time RAID.

So in terms of actual hardware you'd need to acquire, you could buy as little as one or as many as three additional WD Black drives like the one you have. You should use the exact same model if possible for peak performance. Then once installed, a RAID volume can be created in disk utility. Definitely invest in a backup drive if you don't have one already.

Mac Pro 5,1 Quicktime Player 4K Stutter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.