Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV network connection issues

My Apple TV says there’s a problem with my network connection but no other devices are having connection issues. Any suggestion? Also I wanted to do live support with Apple but it keeps sending me here. 🏻♂

Also it’s the latest version Apple TV.

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 8:54 PM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2018 9:56 PM in response to chase135

Is your Apple TV network-connected via Wi-Fi? You may find that wired ethernet is less susceptible to network issues of that kind. Other than that, Wi-Fi reception depends strongly on the exact spot the device is located at, as e.g. building structures and metal in furniture can disrupt the radio signals, as well as other wireless networks in the neighborhood.

If your product is still covered for support, then you can contact Apple Support for support.

Also it’s the latest version Apple TV.

Please just mention your model and tvOS version to avoid confusion, as there are two current models.

Apr 20, 2018 2:26 AM in response to chase135

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other wifi networks in the neighbourhood or from many household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items that cause interference.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate (which may help where interference is present. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software or from device to device, so just because it worked before or works with a different device doesn’t exclude interference as a problem.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

I understand that some of the suggested software (whilst once free) has become pay-ware, I suggest you look around, you may find free alternatives.

Apple TV network connection issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.