Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sleep wake failure with high sierra 10.13.4

I installed the 10.13.4 update on my 2017 15" MacBook Pro and every since then I have been experiencing sleep was failure. Sometimes on the forced restart (not by me) my Mac freezes and I have to manually restart it. I've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM; however, that only solved the issue for a short while. Does anyone have a solution to this? It's rather annoying.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), 15"

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 9:19 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 20, 2018 1:06 PM in response to babyboy1105

Hello babyboy1105,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you've been experiencing issues with sleep wake behavior and freezing on your MacBook Pro. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved! I'm happy to help.

First, I recommend disconnecting all external components and devices. If the issues persist, start from macOS Recovery and use Disk Utility to repair the disk.
About macOS Recovery

Let us know the results. Please include any additional troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

Apr 28, 2018 2:17 PM in response to babyboy1105

I've monitored my Mac the past 4 days and I'm still having the same issue. Before the upgrade to 10.13.4, I could open my Mac and just use touch id to unlock it. Now, I have to put in my password, wait for it to load, then enter my password again. The only good thing is that my previous windows open back up. I may have to take it in or see if I can downgrade to 10.13.3.

Aug 2, 2018 2:32 AM in response to music4stage

Since then I've also done it, but nothing has changed 😟. Moreover, in most cases when I open up my MBP there's no error message I can reflect to or send to Apple, but I cannot login as I have only black screen with lighting keyboard, no reaction, I can only push power off, then power on, then there are two initial sounds right after each other (not normal in itself too), and then I have a login screen 😠.

Unfortunately, I'm running out of patience, so thinking of save everything to an external drive and reinstall the whole system, as there are users without this problem, so it might be caused by an app that I have but they don't and which has a conflict with the OS but Apple hasn't found it or even doesn't want to 😟.

Aug 6, 2018 4:18 PM in response to music4stage

Sadly, I spoke too soon. After a good long sleep (24 hours) the sleep wake problem is still there. C'mon Apple, this has gone on way too long... I've devotedly used the Mac OS in all it's incarnations since the Macintosh Plus way back in 1986. This is the first time my faith in your diligence is seriously wavering. Surely 1 Trillion bucks in valuation should mean you have the resources to fix this. What gives???

sleep wake failure with high sierra 10.13.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.