Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to dry phone in rice?

Hi,

I have soaked my phone in water. It works, but I feel I should dry it. I have basmati, parboiled rice, if necessary I can also buy a brown rice. Which sort of rice does the Apple community recommend to properly dry an iPhone?

Secondly. I intend to put my phone in a glass jar and fill the jar with rice. Is it ok if I put the rice in the separate bag (which is NOT air tight) or should rice be in physical contact with the phone?

Best,

Marcin

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.3.2, repaired water damage with $0.10cap

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Apr 20, 2018 10:58 AM in response to marcin.berman In response to marcin.berman

You’d be better off buying some actual dessicant and using that instead. Put phone and dessicant into a sealed container and leave them there for at least a week or longer. Using dessicant to dry out a device is a very slow process at best.

Apr 20, 2018 10:58 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 11:02 AM in response to marcin.berman In response to marcin.berman

marcin.berman wrote:

I worry that grains of rice will scratch the surface of the screen. Can this happen?

Take a piece of uncooked rice. Rub it as hard as you can on a window. Does it do any damage? The glass on your phone is more scratch resistant than the window.

Apr 20, 2018 11:02 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 11:03 AM in response to marcin.berman In response to marcin.berman

After trying all of the suggestions, call your local Apple Store and make an appointment for them to examine it. Water on electronics causes corrosion. Any method of drying will still allow the electronic to corrode. The only real solution is for anything that is show corrosion to be replaced. This generally involves replacing it with an out of warranty refurbished one.

Apr 20, 2018 11:03 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 12:29 PM in response to sgt_pepper729 In response to sgt_pepper729

sgt_pepper729 wrote:

Rice will help in the short term but in the long run it will likely fail again due to the corrosion. Use the rice to get your phone working if you can then use it while you work on getting a new phone.

In the real world, it doesn't really do any more good than leaving the phone in a warm, dry place.

Apr 20, 2018 12:29 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: marcin.berman

Question: How to dry phone in rice?