Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login in GUI before continuing into single user mode

When I boot into single user mode, I understand that all I should get is a terminal/tty like environment with root account logged in. However on my Macbook Pro (Retina, 2013, macOS High Sierra), I have to log in via the GUI first before I can access the Single User Mode. I do not have filevault enabled, and I don't think I have a firmware password set either (I'm not sure because the macbook belonged to another member of the family at first). Why do you think I am having to log in via GUI first, is this some sort of setting or something? Thank you for your help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 8:58 AM

You ruled out most obvious reason, FileVault. My next guess is that the startup disk is encrypted APFS, in which case you need to provide its encryption key (same as your login password) before it can be mounted, even in Single User mode.

2 replies

Login in GUI before continuing into single user mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.