Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac Pro, "change volume" sound is strange

Hello all,

I'm new in here.

here's what happens: I have an iMac Pro with latest High Sierra OSX. The "play feedback when volume is changed" in "audio" is checked and when I change the volume higher and/or lower, I hear the normal sound plus another sort of click sound layered together. This happens when I change it slowly, if I change the volume pressing a little bit faster I only have the normal sound appearing. This is strange and I don't know how to be more precise about the description.

Does it happens also to someone? Maybe one with the iMac Pro?

I hope you can help me.

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 8:35 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2018 6:26 AM in response to AndreaP83

Hi, AndreaP83.

It appears that, with "Play feedback when volume is changed" turned on, you're hearing two feedback sounds when changing the volume level on your iMac Pro, instead of just one. I'm happy to help.

How to reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac -- Reset the nonvolatile random-access memory on your iMac Pro, then test the issue.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- If resetting NVRAM didn't resolve the issue, test how it responds in safe mode. If there are no issues, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test another user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if its system wide.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Apr 21, 2018 9:33 AM in response to SnickZ.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Nvram reset was made with no results.

I didn’t try to use the safe mode, I’ll try as soon as I’ll be in the studio again.

What I tried to do is to completely reinstall the OS X, but again no results.

I was really disappointed but then I was thinking that there was a sort of logic in that behavior, so I went in two apple store and tried to check with other IMac Pros and (even if it’s not easy to compare something you hear in your studio and something you hear standing in a shop) it came out that I hear the same from the others also. When you press the volume buttons on the keyboard not fast you hear that, when you are fast there’s only the normal sound. It’s hard to explain it better than this, but again I’m not 100% sure.

I tried with other IMacs and MacBooks and it doesn’t happen.

May 5, 2018 9:41 AM in response to AndreaP83

I have the exact same problem with my machine. It always amazes me when Apple tells you to reset everything, setup test users etc. None of these options work and you will have the exact same issue regardless of anything you do with different accounts and so on. The IMac Pro has so many bugs that should have been worked out before this machine was ever released. Even if it meant a delayed release of the IMac Pro. If Apple did more thorough testing and fixed problems I believe many people would be happier than they are now. There are people jumping ship because of all the issues, doing multiple returns and exchanges, taking the machine to the Genius bar which is a total waste of time because they can't do anything as has been expressed by other users. Apple won't take responsibility for their mistakes and it is sad because in the end they will lose a lot of customers.

You can mitigate the volume feedback issue by turning off the option in system preferences.

Imac Pro, "change volume" sound is strange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.