Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to use high sierra start up disk on flash drive

I made a 10.13.4 startup disk on a flash drive. When I boot from the flash drive it comes up with what looks the same as when booting into recovery disk ie you can access disk utility and the main window has all the options for install OS, restore from time machine etc. How do you install from install manager?

Motion 5

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Jim Wanamaker wrote:

Since I am booted into the USB Flash Drive startup disk and not into Recovery HD I assume it will run the High Sierra install file that is on the flash drive. Does that seem reasonable?

Yes

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 21, 2018 4:56 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker In response to Jim Wanamaker

Well, not exactly. It will depend on the version of your Recovery HD. If it is for another version then that other version may be installed. If there is no Recovery HD or if you have used Command-Option-Shift-Ctrl during startup then the original version of macOS that came with the computer is installed (provided that is Lion or later.) It may also be affected by your Apple IDs. You usually don't have an option if you use the flash drive because it will try to install whatever version is on the flash drive.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Apr 21, 2018 11:36 AM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

Hi Kappy

I tried your suggestion but under utility menu there is no option to install OS X. Just network utility, terminal and one other I don't recognize. When I run diskutil in terminal the startup disk appears with EFI and Apple_HFS Install macOS High Sierra on disk3s1 and disk3s2 so it seems the startup disk is ok. Any thoughts?

Apr 21, 2018 11:36 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 21, 2018 11:47 AM in response to Jim Wanamaker In response to Jim Wanamaker

There are four options under the Utility Menu as seen using the Recovery HD. They should appear otherwise you have no way of choosing to do an installation. I am not referring to the Utility menu shown in the screen's menubar. The Utility Menu is a window appearing in the middle of the screen.

Apr 21, 2018 11:47 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 21, 2018 12:40 PM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

Yes I see that window in the middle of the screen but since it looks the same as when you boot into recovery I was not sure if clicking on install OS would use the install file on the startup drive or would reinstall 10.12.6 as it would if I had booted up from the recovery disk.

Apr 21, 2018 12:40 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Apr 21, 2018 4:56 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker In response to Jim Wanamaker

Well, not exactly. It will depend on the version of your Recovery HD. If it is for another version then that other version may be installed. If there is no Recovery HD or if you have used Command-Option-Shift-Ctrl during startup then the original version of macOS that came with the computer is installed (provided that is Lion or later.) It may also be affected by your Apple IDs. You usually don't have an option if you use the flash drive because it will try to install whatever version is on the flash drive.

Apr 21, 2018 4:56 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
Question marked as Solved

Apr 21, 2018 4:06 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker In response to Jim Wanamaker

Jim Wanamaker wrote:

Since I am booted into the USB Flash Drive startup disk and not into Recovery HD I assume it will run the High Sierra install file that is on the flash drive. Does that seem reasonable?

Yes

Apr 21, 2018 4:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 21, 2018 5:07 PM in response to Barney-15E In response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your answer. This High Sierra install has been a nightmare. Doing a normal upgrade attempt twice both failed with a can not install on this computer and left me in an endless loop of the installer re starting everytime I restarted the computer. Only way out was to restore from time machine. Which I had to do twice. So that is why I made the start up disc to see if that will work. My computer is a iMac 27 mid 2010. I have reset pram and SMC and run Disk First Aid from the Recovery HD Disk Utility. So I am hoping for success with the start up disk.

Apr 21, 2018 5:07 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Jim Wanamaker

Question: How to use high sierra start up disk on flash drive