Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant open mail

Please can anyone help me (preferable in words of two syllables or less) as I am computer illiterate.

I had a message saying that I did a force quit, which i probable did as sometimes I get frozen. Now

when I try to open mail I get a box saying 'there is a problem with your mailbox, click and rebuild index next time i open mail it will reindex.'

I have tried this numerous times without success. Have been unable access emails for over a week now.

Have even thought of buying a iPhone or iPad to see if i could access them that way, but would be a very expensive experiment and probably wouldn't work anyway.

Any suggestions gratefully received

am using iMac high sierra

iMac

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 9:43 AM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2018 9:47 AM in response to annfromfolkestone

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that might help.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Then try Mail.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Cant open mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.