Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 9.7 stops charging randomly

Product Info

iPad Pro 9.7, version 11.3, IOS 11.3, 128gb.

Problem Description

iPad ends charging cycle after 45-60 minutes of charging. Problem continues until manually unplugging and replugging in USB cable. The charging graphic stops when it stops charging.

Troubleshooting Completed

1. Swapped the cord out for 5 others I had, as well as used one brand new from apple.

2. Unplugged USB from iPad, from power supply, from wall and re-plugged all yielded same result of iPad began charge cycle again.

3. Wiggled the plug while charging and when issue occurs, nothing changes unless its fully unplugged and re-plugged.

4. Charging off of 12W @ 2.4a supply, off of the "cube" with 1a output, off of my MacBook pro mid 2012 @ 0.5a.

4. Cleaning inside charging port.

5. Using iPad or having all apps killed and turned off, yield same results.

6. I initially thought logitech keyboard had an impact, while it seems this problem occurs more often when it is attached, i can't confirm this.

~7300mAh battery charging at 12W 2.4A @ 80% (assumed 80%) efficiency yields 3.8 hour charge time. so cutout every 20% or so, about every 45 minutes the iPad decides to stop charging.

This is a frustrating issue as if i plug my iPad in before bed, i wake up with an iPad at 18% still plugged in to the wall.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? I imagine it is a software issue, hardware issue within the PS or iPad, or defect in my product.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 3:23 PM

You've done a good chunk of troubleshooting so far.

Have you tried powering off the iPad while it's plugged in and seeing if there's a change in charging while it's shut down?

I would also see if turning off auto-lock and leaving the display on makes a difference.

If neither of those helps, restoring the iPad as a new device is worthwhile.

If still no joy, then I think bringing it to an Apple store is next.

~Lyssa

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2018 3:23 PM in response to tannerfromlexington

You've done a good chunk of troubleshooting so far.

Have you tried powering off the iPad while it's plugged in and seeing if there's a change in charging while it's shut down?

I would also see if turning off auto-lock and leaving the display on makes a difference.

If neither of those helps, restoring the iPad as a new device is worthwhile.

If still no joy, then I think bringing it to an Apple store is next.

~Lyssa

iPad Pro 9.7 stops charging randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.