Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can One Device Stream to Two AirPorts

I bought two AirPort Expresses in order to mimic what Sonos does; namely, streaming music from my device (iPhone SE, iPad and iPod Touch) to my home stereos. I connected the two AirPorts to my two stereos but there seems to be a problem. I cannot play the music from one device through both AirPorts (stereos) at the same time. Both work fine individually, but I cannot do what I intended to do in the first place -- play the same music in two different rooms from one device.

Am I doing something wrong or is it impossible to stream music to more than one AirPort Express at a time?

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 12:49 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 21, 2018 1:22 PM in response to Alert6965

It is a limitation until airplay2 comes out and you need airplay2 compliant speakers etc.

There are other options. Do a search as you will find you are far from the first person trying to do this. e.g.

Reminder -- the iTunes ability to play to multiple speakers is not AirPlay 2, but is pretty close

https://www.macworld.com/article/2099925/how-to-stream-ios-audio-to-multiple-air play-destinations.html

Apr 21, 2018 1:34 PM in response to Alert6965

I cannot play the music from one device through both AirPorts (stereos) at the same time.

There have been rumors for many months about Apple offering a firmware update for the Express to allow this, but so far, nothing. My opinion is that Apple will never do this, but I hope I am wrong.

Ironically, the AppleTV will allow this, but your "speaker" or amplifier will need to have an HDMI input, since that is what the AppleTV will send in the way of audio.

Can One Device Stream to Two AirPorts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.