Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" late 2013 battery swelling

So I recently bought a used MacBook Pro. I knew it wasn't going to be in great shape (it's not my main computer) but unfortunately it came with the "Condition: Replace soon" message for the battery. The battery life itself is still very usable, but the bottom panel of the 'book has mild swelling; it is most obvious when I try to lay it flat and it rocks around on the swelled part on the bottom. So, my question is, what is the most expedient way to fix this? Ifixit has a diy replacement kit that seems good. My question would be, if I replaced the battery myself, would I be able to fix the aluminum panel by straightening it out with a hammer or something?

Apple can fix the battery themselves (at cost, of course) but would they also fix the swelled panel or replace it if I sent it to them for repair? What do you think would be the cost of a full repair (battery and panel), roughly speaking?

Specs:

13", late 2013

2.6GHz i5

8GB ram

121GB SSD (Might not be the original SSD)

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 22, 2018 9:45 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 23, 2018 12:21 AM in response to CrackBookPro

Hi CrackBookPro,

Apple would charge you $199 for replacing a MacBook Pro Retina battery. Mac Service Answer Center - Apple Support

You can Start a service request here.

Honestly, getting your battery fixed at the Genius Bar probably is the most hassle-free way to enjoy your Mac again. Keep in mind you would manipulate a 6000mAh lithium-ion battery not to mention you would deal with highly aggressive solvents near your MBP's logic board. It's like an open heart surgery...

Cheers

MacBook Pro 13" late 2013 battery swelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.