Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

there is a problem with this windows installer package ... can't install

Every time I try to update windows, I get a "There is a problem with this windows installer package" error. I then spend the next 45 minutes trying to download, install, run as administrator etc, before finally scouring the internet to find the procedure to uninstall the old itunes (all apple apps have to be uninstalled in a particular order), and then finding and downloading the microsoft uninstaller tool (because apple software update refuses to uninstall), before finally going back to the apple installer and reinstalling the whole thing.

This is getting tedious. Is there any way that I can avoid this 45 minute circus? Recently apple's been updating about every two weeks, and it's getting on my nerves.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2018 8:49 PM

In most cases that error can be fixed by repairing the existing copy of Apple Software Update from the programs and features control panel, then running the downloaded iTunes installer as the administrator. For more difficult issues read on...

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2018 8:49 PM in response to M4rk8

In most cases that error can be fixed by repairing the existing copy of Apple Software Update from the programs and features control panel, then running the downloaded iTunes installer as the administrator. For more difficult issues read on...

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

there is a problem with this windows installer package ... can't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.